Speech-Language Pathology: NYU vs. CSU Long Beach

sonnymina

I have been admitted to NYU's masters program in Speech-Language Pathology, and CSU Long Beach certificate program in communicative disorders...(I lack prerequisites) .

Any thoughts on either program? I am having a hard time deciding which program would be best for me.

What's the money situation at each school? Would CSU eventually award you a master's, or is the "certificate" a sort of pre-master's program?

CSU and NYU are about the same in quality, imo. There's a lot of research going on at NYU, so that might be a better option if you think you want to get a PhD later.

CSU Long Beach is a lot cheaper- roughly 10 to 12, 000 per year, versus around 30,000 at NYU. The certificate program allows students to complete prerequisites in one year, making them eligible to apply for a masters. So students must go through a separate application procedure to become admitted into the masters program.

Unless there's something specific going on at NYU that you really like, I would definitely go to CSU. It'll suck to have to reapply in a year, but would they really turn down someone who did well in their certificate program? And I can't think of anything inherent to NYU that really justifies paying three times the tuition.

• 10 months later...

I would definitely take NYU over CSU Long Beach. Doing their prereq. program there doesn't not guarantee you into their program, and their program isn't the greatest either. Also, I have a friend that is doing that program there and was just informed that they are only admitting 12 people to the program. Please, save yourself the grief of the stress of applying to programs again and go to NYU! It would be crazy to lose this opportunity of getting admitted to an amazing school just because of the price. Hope this helps!