Mentioning other sources of Financial Support apart from Assistantship

So, I got a funded PhD at the University of Minnesota -Twin Cities and the stipend > estimated expenses there.  I was wondering if I should show any other sources of saving income I have, like fixed deposit, support from family etc ? Would this have any beneficial impact on my getting a VISA?

Edited by sharanbngr

I think you could show this but it probably won't make a difference if stipend > all expenses. As far as I know, it's just a matter of meeting the financial needs, not that you get more points for the more you exceed it. That is, to get a VISA, you just need to meet all the criteria--having extra in one won't make up for a lack in another.

Yes, it's good to know. Though I personally assumed that it's always better to show as much money as possible and as strong ties to your home country as possible. For example, they don't require you to own a property, but if you do, it's good to mention it, etc.

So I don't think showing that you have more than minimal requirement is a bad thing. I think it can only be a plus, imo.

Maybe it depends on where you're from. 

If the "stipend > all expenses" is also shown on your I-20 then you should be fine. The interview is shorter than you think and is usually only a formality.

At least I wasn't asked for any additional documents. I offered to show a bank statement but they told me it is not needed. I recommend to bring something just in case anyways.

To know if you'll need to send money to your family. (I mean, if you'll use your scholarship/TA money to support your family back home).

Though I guess it all depends on your coutnry of citizenship.

I don't think this will really be a problem. When my spouse applied for J-2 work status, one of the things you have to do is explain what you need the money for. This is because in order to qualify as J-1, I need to have enough funding from my school and/or fellowship to support all my expenses and would not have to rely on my spouse's income. However, it is allowed for my spouse to work as J-2 in order to save up money, or spend it on vacations, or classes, or our kids (if we had any--we don't). From the way I understood the paperwork to get J-1 in the first place, US Immigration only cares that I make enough money to support myself and pay for tuition & fees. I don't think they really care how I actually spend the money and they do not ask to audit your expenses!