Industry Before PhD? Engineering

justinmcummings

Hellooooo All,

I was hoping to hear some Pros, Cons, and Opinions of going into industry after obtaining a Masters, as opposed to going straight into a PhD. This is something I am considering when I make my decision this application season.

This entire question boils down to what your ideal long term job prospect is.

Especially true for engineering, if you decide to go into industry with a Masters, you had better make peace with probably never going back to grad school. An engineering PhD opens very few new doors that a Masters + Experience doesn't open for you - namely the academy, and that's about it really. The point being that you're going to go on the job market already exceptionally qualified, have a really good salary, and probably be in a very good position to advance your position in terms of job duties and salary (high upward mobility). Now once you have all of that, you're decision to go for a PhD is going to be to abandon all of that, take a massive pay cut, and toil away for years toward a degree that for all intents and purposes is doing nothing to improve your position - more likely even setting you back further once you hit the job market again.

Now, if your goal is to become a professor at a university or have some other job where a PhD is necessary, then I would advise just jumping right in. Go for it now while you don't have to rip yourself away from the job market. I imagine it would be immediately difficult to jump back to grad school life, and exceedingly so as time passes. I guess just to hit on all points, I don't see any pros that you would necessarily gain from industry work beforehand. If you're hoping to cover a less than stellar Master's record, I doubt a short stint in industry will do it. If you don't want a life as a professor, then I'd say just jump into the job market. 

This is my experience as a non-engineer working alongside engineers in the chemical industry. From what I've seen, a MS is not a wise move. The people I've known have been put in a position where they take low-pay, temporary work as they search for a real job. Companies tend to either want a BS, where a MS makes applicants too expensive (and if you're willing to work for cheap, they think something is wrong with you) or they want a PhD (and generally don't consider work experience to be sufficient to bridge the gap).

It may be different in different industries. Alternatively, this could be a regional phenomenon. But, just thought I'd offer my experience.