Online MPH Programs

plumbunnie

Hi all - if you've been stalking this site like I have, you may have seen me! I apologize if there's already a thread on this but I tried searching and could not find anything distinctive. 

My questions (in no particular order):

- Have you applied to an online/on-campus MPH program? If so, which schools? (include specialization if desired)

- Why are you considering/completing it online? (E.g. Due to relocation factors, concurrent employment, etc.)

- Those who are completing an online MPH program now, how do you find it

(My answers: I applied to Berkeley (admitted) and Waterloo (pending); I'm considering online due to relocation costs and I may be starting a new job after graduation in April, so part-time online would be easiest)

Thanks everyone - you've all been great support and good luck with applications!!

HI.  I graduated last August from an online/on campus MPH program at San Jose State University with a specialization in Community Health Education.  I wanted an online program so as not to relocate, I was finishing up a job as an Executive Director, and a number of other reasons.  I always advice people if you are looking for an online program:  a) make sure there are on campus residencies; B) that it is cohort based; and c) it offers a substantial amount of synchronous online teaching.   I loved the program, many of us remain close friends because we were a single cohort together for 2 years, and I found it to be quite manageable.  Obviously some courses will take more out of you than others.  Although I got an A+ in biostats, I had to spend a lot of time getting there :)  The cohort based on campus/online format really made me feel a part of the school and I developed excellent relationships with the faculty.

HI.  I graduated last August from an online/on campus MPH program at San Jose State University with a specialization in Community Health Education.  I wanted an online program so as not to relocate, I was finishing up a job as an Executive Director, and a number of other reasons.  I always advice people if you are looking for an online program:  a) make sure there are on campus residencies; B) that it is cohort based; and c) it offers a substantial amount of synchronous online teaching.   I loved the program, many of us remain close friends because we were a single cohort together for 2 years, and I found it to be quite manageable.  Obviously some courses will take more out of you than others.  Although I got an A+ in biostats, I had to spend a lot of time getting there :)  The cohort based on campus/online format really made me feel a part of the school and I developed excellent relationships with the faculty.

Congratulations on the graduation :) That's fantastic! And thank you for taking the time to respond, as I really appreciate your comments. It's great to know about others' experiences with these types of programs and I am so grateful for your advice!

Cheers!

Update (if anyone happens on this topic in future): I've accepted Berkeley and will be deferring to the Fall 2014 start, so ... if anyone else out there is in the same boat, feel free to msg me!

Good luck everyone!