I-Bankers for MPP 2010 ?

spiff

I see a lot of people here with public service experience looking to add on econ and quant on to their resumes. However, I haven't quite come across anyone who has the opposite case and is actually looking for a change in the career. By the time I will apply the coming Jan, I would have spent about 4.5 years in Banking with the last couple of years in trading derivatives [with one of the better IBs on the street] [No we have not taken any money from any government!] , before which I did my Masters in Finance and undergrad in Commerce and Economics. Due to the nature of my work, I get to follow a lot of economies [though on a macro level] and design/ trade ideas - however, I think its time I gave it up and [with all due respect to 'markets' ] took these ideas into doing something for real rather than just transfer of cash from one party to another. Besides, it also technically is a good time given there is no love left in IB and pursue long felt need to higher education.

What are your thoughts on my background for MPP ? [i asked the 8 ball and it keeps saying 'ask again later'! :mrgreen: ]

Is there [m]anybody else in a similar boat as mine ??!

I am no expert but am guessing that the 25-35% increase in this years MPP applications is pretty much down to i-bankers looking for a change of career. At least this has been my experience while working for a microfinance NGO, where the sudden change of heart of so many bankers went hand in hand with the ensuing economic crisis.

This may be different by next year, but you are likely to compete with a lot of people with similar backgrounds and I would suggest to get some experience that shows that you are serious about public service before applying.

I say keep the brackets to a minimum in your SOP and you'll be fine. :wink:

Seriously, though, your main job will be convincing the adcom that you have a genuine interest in public service and policy. If you can tie your past experience to your future goals in a convincing manner, I'd imagine it could even work in your favor, e.g., make you stand out as a candidate.

I'm coming from 3.5 years in public finance at private consulting and investment firms, and it hasn't seemed to hurt me too much. Good luck!

You could ace MPP admissions as long as you convincingly explain your interest in public service. MPP programs love that quant stuff and most applicants come from fluffy poli sci backgrounds. Graduate school is often an opportunity to switch careers, it wouldn't be anything new. Programs also probably aim for academic diversity, which the few private sector applicants could offer.

Personally, I think it should be completely obvious that no one would want an expensive, otherwise useless MPP degree unless they wanted to go into public service. If they didn't, they'd apply to an MBA already. Unless adcoms think MPPs are easier to get into or something. Perhaps they are, if you compare Harvard KSG to Harvard HBS, but I digress.

So you really aren't interested in an MBA program? Many folks with MBAs go into public sector as well. Some schools also have joint MPP/MBAs, like SAIS/Wharton and KSG/HBS. I imagine you'd have the leg up there.

Also, you have several months until applications are due. You could always quit your job now and do some temp work for a public sector-related firm if you wanted to adventurously beef up your resume pre-application. Or do some...volunteer? pro bono consulting on the side. I dunno, just imagining options.