MA in Statistics (Columbia) vs MPS Statistics (Cornell)

TimothyW

For Cornell, I think the nature of MPS degree fits me more, because they are more applied , rather than research-based, but location-wise, there seems to be a disadvantage.

For Columbia, it is right in New York City,seems to be better if I want to get a job in NYC.

The downside of Columbia is that, I heard that Columbia has a large statistics department and they have lots of master students,

hence the job placement is not that good, because of excess demand..

So...I am trying to make a choice right now...and hope anyone can give me some suggestions :D

• 2 weeks later...
Hi guys,

For Columbia, it is right in New York City,seems to be better if I want to get a job in NYC.

The downside of Columbia is that, I heard that Columbia has a large statistics department and they have lots of master students,

hence the job placement is not that good, because of excess demand..

I guess is quite the opposit, isn't it?

If you really want a job in Finance, a professional master might fit better. They'll familiarize you more with financial models and some related tools that, although surpassed/taken as given in Stats research, are still widely used in trade floors, brokers and banks.

I would go with Cornell. The degree makes more sense, and even though you might prefer to live in NYC, you will appreciate the lower cost of living in Ithaca while on a graduate student budget; you can always move to NYC when you have a job there, and can actually afford rent.

• 1 month later...