Stanford vs. MIT (PhD in Chemistry)

Hi all,

I've narrowed down my choices between MIT and Stanford for a PhD in chemistry. I'm looking to do materials chemistry and physical chemistry with some interest in inorganic materials. I'm having a hard time picking even though there are sort of clear signs in one direction, but I don't want to feel like I'm taking an offer for peripheral reasons.

Stanford

2 professors I'm interested in, 2 I could live with

program is not as good in materials

fellowship offer for 3 years

beautiful weather

faculty seemed a bit uptight

requirements are less and seem less rigorous (no candidacy)

MIT

3 professors that I'm interested in, at least 4 more that I could live with

top program in materials research and inorganic chemistry

no fellowships

I've heard MIT is poor in terms of quality of life

housing is expensive, stipend is not great

I like MIT a little better, but Stanford's package is better. It kind of comes down to an out of nowhere pick at this point, but I'm looking for thoughts.

You will be spending around 5 years at your choice school. Therefore, I think by going to Stanford and living California you will be a happy graduate student ( I interviewed at Stanford and I think it is an awesome school). That being said of you feel the quality of education and type of research you can get from MIT is significantly better you should go to MIT.

If MIT has more professors that you liked, I would choose MIT.  Having a good choice of potential advisors is extremely important, and it seems like the department would be a better fit in general if you thought you could live with 7 of the professors (vs 4 at Stanford).

Important Information

This website uses cookies to ensure you get the best experience on our website. See our Privacy Policy and Terms of Use