Chicago MAPSS vs. SFSU MA (help!)

Tams

Chicago MAPSS or San Francisco State MA?  

2 members have voted

1. 1. Chicago MAPSS or San Francisco State MA?

• Chicago MAPSS
    • San Francisco State MA

I saw many threads about MAPSS in other disciplines, but not psychology...so my fingers are crossed that you're out there. Even if you don't know about these programs, any objective input would be golden.

I can't believe how overwhelming a decision between two programs you didn't really want that much can be! Ideally, I want to pursue a PhD but have been rejected as a BA-to-PhD applicant. Now, two of the MA offers (which have almost nothing in common) are duking it out and it is bloody...

Time is ticking...and I am losing my sanity. One is the somewhat controversial-very flexible- expensive (40k)-single year-"Master of Arts in Social Sciences" (MAPSS) program at the prestigious UChicago and the other is a run-of-the-mill-2-year-fully-funded MA in Psychology at San Francisco State University.

The factors are too many to list, but I was wondering if anyone has had experiences in one of these programs that can give me some fresh perspectives...or even reiterate old perspectives. Between my time-cost-prestige-location-curriculum-degreename equations, I have been flip-flopping constantly and cannot come to a decision for the life of me!

I just can't believe I'd be passing up a U of Chicago degree for a Cal State school... I know, I have to stop being so elitist but I finished a prestigious undergrad school and can't get it out of my head that the name matters in the long run...any thoughts? Thanks so much for reading!

A first year in my PhD program came from SFSU with his MA, so you can definately get into PhD programs from SFSU, so if that is your long term goal I would suggest, not going 40k in debt for a master's degree, I think schools look more at your research, letters of rec, GRE, etc., than the name of the school. I don't think it is worth going into a large amount of debt for, considering almost all your credits probably won't tranfer. Just my opinion though.

Edit: I am referring to I/O psychology, I just realized you weren't referring to a particular field, my advice might advice was regarding I/O as I am not as familiar with other fields of psych.

Thanks IOPsych, you have actually confirmed my leaning toward SF for the very same reasons. I am doing Social, by the way, but I am certain the same general sentiments apply. :)