Art Conservation-Laboratory Scientist

qiscake

Hi all, 

I am looking to go into the field of art conservation, particularly working as a scientist in one of the conservation labs. I figure the best way to get into the field is going through one of the four conservation programs in the U.S. I have a undergraduate and a Master's degree in Chemistry, as well as a solid porfolio in studio art. I am currently working on my art history requirement and hopefully get some experience in conservation lab at the same time. I know that the NYU-IFA program has a language requirement, which I am currently working on in French.

Since I am not extremely familiar with this field, I would love to hear from someone who is either accepted into a conservation program or working in the conservation field, of whether if I am on the right track to apply for an art conservation program. Also, is this a traditional way to be involved as a research scientist in a conservation field?

Thank you!

Hi!

I'm actually not doing conservation, but I do have some friends working on it.  It sounds like you are actually doing pretty good so far, but you are going to need more art history under your belt, I think.  Not to be creepy, but it looks like you are in Ann Arbor; I would suggest going and talking to Alex Potts in the art history department.  He would certainly help you out.  The UMMA has some conservation stuff going on as well on the second floor and I am sure someone there would talk to you.  If I were you I would also look into the conservation program at U Delaware--it is excellent.  Good Luck!!

• 2 weeks later...

Hi there! I worked as a tech in a conservation lab for 3 years and looked into going to school (and ultimately ended up doing something else)- I know basically everything about this stuff and have a ton of friends in the field.

Here's the deal: the programs in the US (and the one in Canada at Queen's) are extremely good, and extremely competitive. All are funded and only accept a handful of people per year. Most people who attend these programs have to apply a few times before they get in. Delaware is the best, but their application process involves days of in-person tests. It's really hard. You're gonna need a lot of art history and studio art- advanced level classes. Try talking to someone in a conservation lab in your area, it's a really small field and people tend to be friendly. Also, you also need to have an idea of the area you'd like to work in- paper, paintings, sculpture, textiles. It helps if you can visit some labs and get an idea of what people do and what medium you prefer. Jobs are difficult to find, even for graduates of these programs- there just aren't that many jobs available and once they have a good job people stay in them until they retire, it's a tiny field, starting salary is very low. But if this doesn't intimidate you, AND if you can spare four years of your life to do an MA, AND you don't mind moving anywhere in the world where a job becomes available- then go for it.

Coming from a science background is a really strong aspect. There are alternatives to the US programs that you might want to consider- the UK has several shorter (2 year) MA programs in various mediums that, since you've already done an MA in chem, might be a better fit for you. If you're into books/paper you could also consider a program in bookbinding, like at North Bennet Street School, since you already have the chemistry it would give you the experience and hand skills focus.

Please feel free to send me a message if you have any questions at all! I'm happy to talk about my background and the background/paths of the people I've worked with. Good luck!

• 3 weeks later...

I can speak personally to this as I'm finishing up a bachelor's degree at one of the US institutions that offers the art conservation masters. I also work in a museum analytical lab.

Your science background will make you competitive for the programs, especially Delaware/Winterthur, as long as you get your conservation lab hours and your art history classes in. I can give you more advice on this, but...

The general path to working in a conservation science lab as a scientist is by getting a PhD in the sciences or engineering. Most people then do a post-doc at a museum after that. There are few jobs and lots of applicants, so rarely are these positions filled by people with master's degrees alone. I can think of one or two people in the field (who are American - European conservation scientists are a different story) who have a master's in art conservation. There are probably benefits to getting a master's in conservation and then a PhD in the sciences, but you have to consider if you want to endure 3 years for the master's + another 4-6 for a PhD.

So I would say no, this is not the traditional route for a research scientist. There are some funded internships at places like the National Gallery and the Met for conservation science that it might not hurt to try your hand at. Also, some experience working with a conservator (though these opportunities are frequently unpaid) might help you decide if you're interested in conservation itself (actually treating objects) or conservation science. There are lots of resources on the UD art conservation website, including job and internship listings that you might look at to get a sense of what's required and available out there. More importantly, there's a lot of people at all 4 US programs who I'm sure works be happy to answer your questions if you want more info. Feel free to PM me.