Terrible grades after accepting phd offer

md152

I could go into the reasons but the fact of the matter is I will most likely end up with 1 b and 2 c's this te.

How bad is this?

It depends on your overall GPA; if you were a cusp candidate and this lowers your overall average under a 3.0 it could actually be really bad.

Does your offer indicate you must maintain a certain average? For example, my offer indicates that I must obtain a B average in my remaining courses this year.  If your offer provides any indication of expected peformance, then they could potentially revoke your offer, unless you have extenuating circumstances that can explain your grades.

There were no specified GPA requirements included in my offer, only that I must submit my final transcript before I can register for classes.

I too am wondering the same thing.

I was admitted to an unfunded Masters program at a prestigious university, but my GPA was nothing extraordinary to begin with. If I get, say, 1 A, 1 B, and 2 Cs this term, is that really bad? 

I too am wondering the same thing.

I was admitted to an unfunded Masters program at a prestigious university, but my GPA was nothing extraordinary to begin with. If I get, say, 1 A, 1 B, and 2 Cs this term, is that really bad? 

Hey masters, if your GPA drops below 3.0 you will not be able to enter the graduate school if thats their minimum requirement. Other than that I dont think it will be too bad.

Guest Gnome Chomsky

Hey masters, if your GPA drops below 3.0 you will not be able to enter the graduate school if thats their minimum requirement. Other than that I dont think it will be too bad.

Good point. Recent acceptees tend to get paranoid, which is understandable, but all that probably matters is if you drop below minimum requirements.

While I have a GPA far above 3.0 I know many people who are accepted to PhD programs with 2.5 GPA

GPA doesn't mean dittley squat as long as you have awesome GREs

This is precisely one major reason why GRE's are required, to assess one's abilities beyond their transcripts.

You can ENTER graduate school without a 3.0 but once you are in a program you MUST maintain 3.0.

Maintaining 3.0 and is not the same as needing one before you start grad school and you DO NOT need a 3.0 to get in.

Tell your story, explain why you didn't have a 3.0+ as an undergrad and hit the ground running to master the GRE.