New School for Social Research?

Josh J.

In my investigating of grad schools for PhD applications, I've been looking at the New School's program.  They don't have a standalone program in history, but they do offer joint degree programs with social science disciplines, such as anthropology, sociology, political science.

Does anyone know anything about them?  What their strengths are? How they would compare with top programs in U.S. History generally?

They've had several superstars over the years, but many are retired or passed on. It could be a great place to be, especially for a MA, but there just aren't too many big names there anymore, especially after Hobsbawm left. A professor I've worked with in undergrad got his degree in sociology from there. I considered it for a very long time, but they just don't offer enough funding so I finally decided against it.

The NSSR's reputation in NYC (confirmed by current students I quizzed when considering applying) is that it has amazing faculty (esp. in Continental philosophy), but that very few students get funding, meaning most either have to borrow or end up taking up to 10 years to finish because they have to work. 

• 2 weeks later...

I went there for undergrad (Eugene College, New School's liberal arts UG institution). It's an amazing place but they have no funding and no phd in History, as you said. Are you looking for just an MA? Sometimes they give up to 66% off tuition but I think a full ride is a-typical. You can PM me with questions.

• 2 months later...