How much do schools care about GREs?

wetheplants

Hey folks!

I'm going to be pursuing some kind of English/Performance Studies combo (still trying to figure that one out) and many of the US schools I'm interested require GRE scores. I'm really interested in getting into an Ivy or something with a high pedigree, so I'm anticipating tough competition.

How much weight do schools actually place on your GRE scores??
I have a great transcript, GPA, I have a great writing sample that is really relevant to what I want to study... etc. I think I'm a great applicant!

But I'm freaking out about the GRE thing right now! I haven't taken a math class since high school and I went through some of the problems on their website today... GAH!

I'm hopeful I can get a solid score on the verbal part and hopefully the writing too. But what's gonna happen if my math part is terrible? I mean, I'm gonna study and all, so hopefully it won't be abysmal. But if it's not great, are schools going to hold that against me?

Let me know what's up here, folks! This has totally got me freaking out =[

Thank you!

It depends on the school. Although I'm not entirely sure it's true, I've heard that schools with "high pedigree," as you put it, tend to treat the more "subjective" aspects of your application (i.e.: writing sample, SOP) as more informative than hard numbers (GPA, GRE).

I've found that test-prep books are particularly helpful in studying for all sections of the GRE. I'd recommend buying books from two different companies (I went with Princeton Review and Barron's). Some tips and tricks from one organization might not work for you, and, when that happens, it's helpful to get a "second opinion," if you will, from another organization; using this strategy, I was able to mix-and-match advice from different companies to develop something tailored to myself.

Also, be sure to buy books with multiple practice tests (more is better). Take a full practice test once a week (and/or 30-minute sections every day); this will allow you (by reviewing your practice tests) to identify what kind of problems give you the most trouble, focus on addressing your biggest weaknesses, and track your improvement over time.

I get the impression that, as long as your Q score isn't dreadful, the math section of the GRE is the least important aspect of the application. Unless your field is math/science-intensive (i.e.: physics, sociology, history of technology), it doesn't really make sense for an admissions committee to consider it strongly.

Edited by thedig13