Sub 3.0er actually got into two schools!

ahimsa000

Hi everyone,

I lost all hope with admissions since I wasn't hearing back when everyone else was, and now the unimaginable happened: I've been accepted into two programs for my Master's in Biotechnology. I eventually want to get into a PhD program for Biotech, but with a 2.76 undergrad GPA, I figured a Master's first would definitely help me get there.

Anyways, I was accepted into EVMS (Eastern Virginia Medical School) and Worcester State University both for the Master's in Biotech in Fall, 2014. I am also considering Harvard Extension School (HES) for their Biotech program as well. I've come up with a pros and cons list for each school and I'm having trouble deciding which one to go with. At this point, I'm doubting I'll get into the rest of the schools I've applied to (Drexel, Penn State, UCI, and Johns Hopkins-lol).

Harvard Extension Biotechnology Master’s Program

Pros

1. Harvard name
  2. Management concentration
  3. Tuition is about $28,000 for the whole program (on a course-by-course basis)
  4. Thesis requirement (for prospective PhD)
  5. Boston location has several Biotech firms in the area

Cons

1. Not an acceptance just yet-have to pass three admissions courses with B or above
  2. Living in Boston: cold, expensive
  3. First 3 courses are out of pocket (no Federal Student Loans available)

Worcester State University Biotechnology Master’s Program

Pros

1. Tuition is around $30,000 for 2 years (on a yearly basis)
  2. Thesis requirement
  3. Admission is guaranteed as long as 3.0 (B average) is maintained throughout program

Cons

1. Not a good ranking (68% acceptance rate)
  2. Part time
  3. No management concentration

Eastern Virginia Medical School Biotechnology Master’s Program

Pros

1. Location is nice and safe
  2. 16 month program total
  3. Admission is guaranteed as long as 3.0 (B average) is maintained

Cons

1. Tuition is $56,000 for out of state U.S. citizens
  2. Courses are mostly lab-based (not so much theory)
  3. No management concentration

So, any opinions? Thank you very much for reading this. :)

SR

From the looks of things, I feel that Harvard Extension is your best option. 

It's the cheapest, does what you need it to do (prepare you for your Ph.D), proximity to the places you want to work, and can possibly give you connections to other Harvard scholars who can be LOR writers.

The cons of it don't look that bad. Cold? Sure that sucks but I feel like program is more important than whether it's cold or not (and I live in Chicago!!!) 

Presumably you'd be able to pass those three courses with a B or higher. 

Haha to be honest, I was having trouble finding cons for HES...I am leaning towards this program, but of course, my parents and others around me want me to make these lists to make the best informed decision. I will probably go with HES though! It is my decision at the end of the day. :) 

And @zwljoe...I applied to JHU recently, so I doubt I got in! Congrats :) I think JHU's program is great, and you can take it full time if you wanted, I'm pretty sure I read that somewhere on the website.

@zlwjoe (sorry for messing up your name in my other post) how funny, I applied on 3/24 too! I guess I have yet to find out, it says on the website that they don't have my transcript but I ordered it on fed ex over night from UCI on March 29, still haven't updated my app. I know for sure they got it because I ordered tracking on my transcript (crazy, I know). I also emailed the admissions office about it, and no reply just yet. Wondering what I should do about it...

Wow, just kidding, they must have updated this a few hours ago, they did receive my transcript as of today (4/10). It's so weird/annoying because my tracking updates told me someone signed for it on April 1st. I don't know if I even have a slight chance now! 

@sr41489  I actually call them several times about my transcripts. They said they recieve hundreds of transcripts everyday, but I think they are just lazy...

It took them more than 2 weeks to upload my transcripts. I think you can get the decision within 2-3 weeks after they upload all your documents to admission consul

@sr41489    I was completed on 3/24. I called them and they said they needed 2-3 weeks to process (which is true). BTW I called them today and asked more questions. They said the acceptence rate is 65%!

Wow! That gives me some hope because EVMS is about 50% and Worcester is 68%...we'll see what happens. Plus the two schools said they required a 3.0 undergrad GPA, but clearly, mine is under, so they must have some exceptions based off of other stuff on my resume. One thing I'm kind of worried about for JHU is the fact that they don't take letters of recommendation. I have 2 really strong letters from really influential people in the science world (one other from a paramedic lol) and I felt that helped me get in to the other schools. It'll be interesting to see what happens in the next few weeks. I think I'm going to decline EVMS and WSU and stick with HES if I don't get into JHU, but if I do get into JHU, then it's a battle between that and HES for sure! 

Which other one are you referring to? I know you said JHU has a high acceptance rate, but does Georgetown as well? I feel like it won't matter, as long as you do well. It also depends what you want to do after the Masters. Do you want your PhD or to go straight into the industry? I feel like I want to work for a year after, and then be applying to PhD programs in Biotechnology for the year after. 

Ok I just got an interview offer via Skype for DUCOM's biotech MS program. (Drexel University College of Medicine)

Excited? Yet kind of nervous, I know they are going to ask about my bad grades. 

It makes me feel like those programs just wanna accept as many students as they want to make money, and some employers may know about this. Georgetown's acceptance rate is only about 16%, which kinda makes me feel better. But if you wanna get a Ph.D. degree in the future, this might not influence you.

Good luck!

Yeah well now that DUCOM is kind of in the mix of things, I made a pros and cons list as well. I had lost hope with this school since it's so late in the application cycle. I really don't want to go to WSU or EVMS, so I'm definitely going to decline those offers. Leaving me with only the HES option, and until I hear back from JHU, DUCOM, UCI, Penn State and UMass Boston, it's all up in the air!

Anyways, zlwjoe: I think you should take Georgetown's offer! I heard that they have a good program, I didn't bother applying because I feel like I'd get rejected right away. Congrats though!

Haha yeah I'm sure it is...well I'm waiting for my interview to happen at DUCOM next Monday, so we'll see. If I get in there, I might take the offer because it's only 16 months of a program and I like the curriculum.