accept to more than one program? Gtown/GW

Hello all

Just seeing if anyone may be able to help answer this... I am debating between GW and Gtown (MPP)... I have received funding from Gtown so that tuition will be comparable to GW. But, I may be eligible for a fellowship at GW (worth $15K/yr), though the application deadline for the fellowship isn't until August 1. Any idea if I would be able to pay a seat deposit at both schools until I hear about the fellowship in August, or is that just unethical?? Is it a binding decision after accepting the scholarship money from Gtown?

No, you should never commit to more than one program. What you're describing is definitely unethical.

If you commit to one program, then get accepted off the waitlist at a better one, then you can de-commit from the first program if you accept the waitlist offer. The program you originally committed to may be disappointed but they should understand. But to commit to two programs and pay two deposits is a bad idea.

As for the scholarship being binding, there's no commitment until you formally accept the offer of admission.

do it. its the schools fault for waiting to award scholarships. first of all, i'm not sure what mysterious ethical principal is at stake here. letting down a school? hurting their feelings?

there's no harm to your reputation as a result of this. students back out at the last minute all the time. and schools effectively poach students from other institutions by offering admissions off the waitlist late in the game anyway. so long as the enrolloment confirmation doesn't constitute a legally binding contract and/or the shcool isn't willing to enforce that contract, you are absolutely fine.

sign the forms and don't lose a minute of sleep.