Decisions!

Astraea

I got into Columbia and Georgetown for an MA in Latin American Studies, and would love some feedback about the programs.   Funding is not an option at either since I learned that I would need to apply to grad school a year earlier than I'd expected, and I didn't have the chance to apply by the funding consideration deadlines.  

At this MA, I hope to specialize in conflict resolution and human rights, and I am especially interested in the Colombian conflict.  

I have to accept or decline Columbia's offer by April 30!  Any input would be very much appreciated.

Hi meep15, thank you for your reply!  It's not in my best interests to do that, actually.  I applied last-minute because it became apparent that getting a work visa to continue my current job could prove difficult.  It's ok though: I've saved some money and I found a way to finance at least part of the degree externally regardless of where I go.  I just need to choose a program now, and I would love to learn more about them beyond their websites.  I am visiting both schools and talking to professors, but I love to hear anyone's input/opinion!

I believe Columbia U's History program is a top 10 program. It would be hard for me to pass that up! Did you check the courses to see which program offers more of what you'll be interested in? Also check who teaches there, there may be someone who specializes in *exactly* what excites you about Latin American studies. But, I do like being in the DC area and being near the center of national politics, being able to see Supreme Court arguments... a lot of the local talk is about politics, it's the only place I've ever lived in the US that was like this. It's unique in this way. I would prefer living in the DC area versus the area near Columbia, but that's just me.

Thanks for your reply, warprin.  Why would the history program's rankings matter in my case?  Is there anywhere where I could see rankings just for Latin American Studies programs?

My interest are in conflict resolution, intrastate wars and human rights.

It really does depend on your future plans (if you know what they are now). Are you considering a PhD? Teaching? Interested in working in the Washington, DC area (there are a ton of jobs there)? Which would make you more competitive? Depends on what your ambitions are. Which program has a better job placement record, where do the student work or what do they do now, etc. Are you staying in the US or would you like to go elsewhere? Every program is different with different strengths and weaknesses. Have you talked to anyone in the department yet?

Ranking systems all have biases but you should have an idea what kind of reputation your program has when you accept.

Important Information

This website uses cookies to ensure you get the best experience on our website. See our Privacy Policy and Terms of Use