Ask for extension vs. ask for release after acceptance?

davidipse

Dear ones,

Thanks, in advance, for your answers. I have X admit vs Y waitlist; I prefer Y, for personal (not academic) reasons. I know a lot of people will be making last minute decisions, so a place might open up at Y right after the April 15 deadline. The two options I can think of are the following, and I'd appreciate hearing people's thoughts on which is preferable, esp. people who have been in similiar situations:

1) Call X now and ask them for an extension of the decision deadline until, say, April 16.

2) If I don't hear back from Y until April 15, accept X's offer at the last minute. Then if Y comes through, ask X for a release.

Both programs are funded, if that makes a difference to the legality of retraction. What's the least incendiary way to go about doing this!?

Edited by davidipse

As usual, TakeruK has a much more eloquent and complete answer.

I was going to link to this, so thanks for doing it for me :) In summary, I would say: Ask X for extension, but if that doesn't work, and if you get an offer from Y, go ahead and ask X for release--keeping in mind that there are some consequences to this action.

I was going to link to this, so thanks for doing it for me :) In summary, I would say: Ask X for extension, but if that doesn't work, and if you get an offer from Y, go ahead and ask X for release--keeping in mind that there are some consequences to this action.

Oh yeah, my pleasure. This exact topic is posted fairly frequently, so I think I'll just keep linking if someone else hasn't done so first.