Programs that reject for PhD but accept for MS?

I really want to apply to a PhD program after I graduate but I'm worried that I might not qualify for the programs I am interested in due to a poor first year right out of high school (over 15 years ago). I previously read of some people getting rejected from a PhD program at a specific schools (i.e., Columbia) but were then offered acceptance into that school's Masters program. I was wondering if this is common, or just specific to those schools (and if there are other schools that do this, if it is the case)? I'm just trying to decide if I should apply straight to a PhD program or go for a MS first. Thank you!

I dunno how common it is, but I do know that a few schools do it. I've heard UCLA does it (or rather, I heard of a more personal case where someone offered a PhD applicant admission to masters after the 15th deadline). UW-Seattle did it for me for applied mathematics. I think it depends. But these offers, due to them being masters programs, aren't usually funded. Some masters programs (e.g. the applied math/CS thing at Ohio State University) do offer funding.

I think you should decide whether or not to apply to a PhD or an MS before applying. The better an idea that you have about what you're going to do, the better off you'll be. But failing that, you can always apply to MS and PhD programs.  

Also, an old professor told me that most PhD programs ward a terminal masters, so you don't have to go for the 6-years-or-nothing option. I.e. if you decide after 2 years that the PhD option is not for you, you can quit early with a masters. It's bad form to do this without ever having had any intention to do a PhD (which people would do if they wanted guaranteed funding), but it's definitely an out if you decide you can't stand it there. My tentative decision is for a PhD, but I say that because I don't really know what I'm getting into until I'm actually there, and things could change--so it's nice to have that out.

Thank you for your reply. I definitely want to go for a PhD. I was just worried that if I apply to PhD programs and don't get into any, then I would be out of luck. I guess I could apply to one or two Masters programs as a backup and then apply to a PhD after that, as you suggested. Thank you again.

You can apply to PhD programs and just check yes to the question if you want your application to be reviewed for the master's program as well... Make sure you apply where there's a research fit and that there's a high number of students who enter their PhD program from their masters program. I wish someone had told me ... I would have never applied to a terminal masters...

• 2 weeks later...

Thank you for the advice. I didn't realize there might be a box to check to be considered for the MS as well when applying for PhD programs. I will definitely start to watch for programs that have MS degrees intended for people who want to pursue a PhD after. Thanks again!

That you for your replies. That's good to know about Chicago and Michigan.

My goal is definitely a PhD, but I feel like it is difficult to know where you fit into the rankings of PhD programs so I thought I would see if it was common for programs to reject people for their PhD program and offer admittance to their MS program instead.

I know schools traditionally admit more MS students than PhD students with PhD being more competitive, but I don't want to just apply for their MS program and question later if I would have been competitive enough for their PhD program.