New School for Social Research - MA in Liberal Arts..?

So whats the deal with this MA program? the New School for Social Research seems like they do a lot of great stuff and their profs are are superstars, but whats the deal with the Liberal Arts Ma program. Is it just a cash-cow, like that Humanities MA program in Chicago. Does it have any prestige, be it academic or professional? I know that the NSSR offers some funding for their MAs, but I think its rarely more than 50% tuition (and its a high one, isnt it?) but the Liberal Arts stream seems like the most crack-pot. The thing is, if $$$ is not an issue, it does seem like a really exiting program that one could really leverage for a future in research/cultural institution/publishing and prob. PhD considering the caliber of the Profs and the closeness one may have with them.

Any gossip would be great.

I don't think they're very good with funding. Anecdotal, but probably true.

Read the newspapers lately? Do a google search. Trouble at NSSR.

Visit the place. It's like the bizarro world version of NYU. You know what's going on there, right? If you're not extremely far to the left, you won't be happy there. The school is mostly Marxists. I don't mean that euphemistically or hyperbolically. I voted for Obama in the last election. For that, an alum called me a fascist. The school is really just mostly Marxists. Seriously, visit it. You'll love it or hate it. No in-between

In general, NSSR is not that prestigious and you'd be crazy to pay for a Master's there (though if you're funded, and it suits your interests, you could do worse). They have such a narrowly Critical Theory/Neo-Marxist bent that I think their students generally come off as crackpots or trustafarians unable to deal with the world, at least outside Social Work and other fields that are extremely liberal. Also, it probably wouldn't be very useful since so few other philo dep't's have similar orientations.

In fairness, their philosophy department has some strong Continental types. Critchley teaches there (philosophy chair) but most of the school has a Neo-Marxist, rather than a French post-structuralist or Heideggerrian bent (which is what reigns in many Modern Continental oriented schools). Their clinical psych PhD isn't bad either. They also have some well respected soc programs (and some relatively unknown ones).

In general, MA in Liberal Arts are cash cows. Get a Masters' in something specific.

If you don't get funding, and really want a Masters' strictly for personal edification, you may as well just go someplace cheaper .

As an undergrad I went to Eugene Lang College (part of the New School) so I can confirm that the New School (in general) is not good with funding. And of course living in New York is expensive (not impossible, but expensive, better move to Brooklyn or Queens). I just went over to the Liberal Arts website and looked at the program's faculty... a few were my professors (they teach both at Eugene Lang and the New School for Social Research), others I only have anecdotal knowledge of (friends who took their courses). What I can say about the professors I did have and the courses I took from them, is that they were consistently challenging, exciting and engaging. You'll have a lot of contact with the professors (well maybe not the most notable ones, but generally). As to the New School being radical/ Marxist -- it is a progressive university, but I suspect you already know that if you even considering it. All in all, I think the program probably is a cash cow, but the professors will spend more time with you then say the professors you'd have in the University of Chicago's Master's of Humanities. If you have the money, I'd say its worth it (prestige aside because I'm not convinced New School has too much of it).

Hey D, thanks for the reply.

I am well aware of the culture of and politics at the New School. That doesn't detract me, though I am turned-off by the hipster flacks that school and atmosphere attracts (maybe I just don't want to admit that I'm a hipster flack myself). What attracts me to the school is the caliber of profs it gathers, some of them even international superstars (Julia Kristeva has been a visiting prof there for a few years now), and the school's active involvement within the larger intellectual community of NYC. More specifically, I am not sure I want to actually do a PhD in Literature, and the their MA in Liberal Studies program seems like a good way too keep my options open. If I do want to go on to a PhD the MA would give me a sold grounding in literary and critical theory, and if I want to work outside of the academy, New School appears to offer a lot of potential contacts and opportunities to do that (i.e. New Yorker writers as instructors, credited internships, etc etc). Basically, if $$$ was not an issue this would be an ideal program for me. The problem, though, is I can't determine how much substance there is to the program. My impression is that most of the student body just has wads of cash to blow and are going to it for the 'experience,' a luxury I cannot afford.

• 2 weeks later...

Hey Kursty,

That post you wrote on May 6 was like something I'd write myself! I'm in a very similar position. PhD or not? not sure yet, but really attracted to this program. I just got accepted with a half-tuition scholarship. The other programs I applied to were traditional English and Comp Lit M.A.s at "prestigious" schools, plus Chicago's MAPH. I've gotten in everywhere (except still waiting on Columbia) and I got no funding from anywhere other than the New School (most big-name schools offer no funding for MAs as a rule). So, I am already looking at empty pockets - which hurts. - I don't know when or if you applied already, but obviously, the earlier in the cycle you apply, the more likely you are to get funding.

The program seems really exciting to me, but yeah I do worry about the 'substance' as you put it. I too am not sure about getting a PhD but want to keep my options open. I kind of feel like (aside from potentially creating a really impressive writing sample) the New School won't help with getting accepted to a PhD program unless it is at the New School. (Though it is up for debate whether or not any MA program helps you get into a PhD program.) That said, if academe is not your ultimate goal, then I think you could get a lot out of this program.

When I was applying, I talked to Emily Condon the NSSR liberal studies student liaison. She also said the professors were great and you get a lot of one on one attention from them. She said that it is such a broad department so all of the students are doing really different things, which is nice for being exposed to a lot of interdisciplinary thought and means there isn't really a lot of cut-throat competition, but also can mean everyone is doing their own thing and there is less cohesion in the student body. It also definitely means that you have to go in there knowing what you want to get out of it so you don't go in and just fiddle around for two years and come out two years older and that much poorer.

Well, that's enough rambling from someone who doesn't actually know any more than you do. Just thought I'd contribute some solidarity. I've got to give them an answer ASAP, but if you happen across any more information, please share it here!

Thanks!