When to start contacting professors about first rotation?

Souzou

I will be attending a neuroscience program this fall, and I have discussed the possibility of doing rotations with several faculty members. I have an idea of who I would like to work with for my first rotation. When should I finalize these plans? I was thinking of contacting this professor in the beginning of July, but I have heard some people say rotations are not officially decided until we begin in the fall.

Also I'm considering doing a summer rotation, any thoughts on this?

Well "officially" we meet with professors and our adviser the first month to choose a rotation. I'm just wondering if it's appropriate or if most people tend to get a head start and begin contacting professors about rotating in their labs prior to this.

I've been in contact about rotations already and been met with favorable response so far. My plan is to use the time I have until the program starts to do some reading on their area of focus.

When I accepted the offer from my Neuroscience program, I contacted PIs within a month of getting accepted. That said, I started early and did a summer rotation beginning July 1st. It allowed me to rotate with my top choice lab first (which I have since joined). As long as you know the proper procedure, I don't think it can hurt to make an impression early.

When I accepted the offer from my Neuroscience program, I contacted PIs within a month of getting accepted. That said, I started early and did a summer rotation beginning July 1st. It allowed me to rotate with my top choice lab first (which I have since joined). As long as you know the proper procedure, I don't think it can hurt to make an impression early.

Many people have told me to take the summer off, but do you think doing your summer rotation was more beneficial than if you would have done it during the year?

Taking a summer off can be VERY beneficial. It's your last chance to do so for a while, so if you can afford it it's certainly something to consider.  I wasn't coming straight from undergrad, so I was able to take the month of June off and travel a bit. My incoming class was quite big, with a lot of overlap in which labs we were interested in so starting early allowed me to finish my rotations and choose a lab before the spots started filling up. That being said, in my opinion one of the worst things you can possibly do is to start grad school already feeling burned out.

Best of luck!

Taking a summer off can be VERY beneficial. It's your last chance to do so for a while, so if you can afford it it's certainly something to consider.  I wasn't coming straight from undergrad, so I was able to take the month of June off and travel a bit. My incoming class was quite big, with a lot of overlap in which labs we were interested in so starting early allowed me to finish my rotations and choose a lab before the spots started filling up. That being said, in my opinion one of the worst things you can possibly do is to start grad school already feeling burned out.

Best of luck!

Great advice! Thank you.