Applying to PhD programs next time 'round...

dgswaim

I was wondering, for those who took a Master's before moving onto doctoral work, how early you started preparing for PhD admissions. MA stints are pretty quick, so it seems like it would be best to start thinking about it as early as possible. How early did you start developing a sample? Developing relationships with potential letter writers? Figuring out where you want to apply? Etc. etc. etc.

One thing I know... next time I'm going to aim higher with respect to the schools I apply to...

I was wondering, for those who took a Master's before moving onto doctoral work, how early you started preparing for PhD admissions. MA stints are pretty quick, so it seems like it would be best to start thinking about it as early as possible. How early did you start developing a sample? Developing relationships with potential letter writers? Figuring out where you want to apply? Etc. etc. etc.

One thing I know... next time I'm going to aim higher with respect to the schools I apply to...

I kept a running list of where I wanted to apply since day 1 of entering the program, and adding and taking away from it as I'd randomly look at programs and re-examine programs.

As for sample, I knew going in I wanted my sample to be in a particular area, so I continued to do some reading and work in that area on my own throughout my first fall and spring semester. None of my seminar papers are in this area, so I plan on, once finishing with this semester, putting together a writing sample and getting feedback on it over the summer.

I took a slightly more exploratory tack with mine, but that was largely because I didn't really know what I was doing coming out of undergrad. So what basically happened was the following: I spent the first semester just taking classes, and not thinking too much about application anything (a vital period of mental recovery, I think). I learned a bit about what faculty I meshed well with and began to consider my interests, which allowed me to target a little better for these things in the second semester. So I took classes in things that would probably be listed on my future statement of purpose, with people I might ask to write for me. 

I started my Master's paper/writing sample the summer between my second and third semesters. It began as a random reading of literature in an area I was broadly interested in, and narrowed to a specific focus through a process of refinement from there. By the time third semester started, I had most of a first draft and a lot of reading done to take to my advisor. I think that of all the things I did, that helped the most. Third semester was taking a few additional classes with potential letter-writers, but I backed off on the courseload a little to focus on the paper. 

Also, this cannot be emphasized enough: unless it really works for you, do not work on a "deadline' mentality. It kills motivation and doesn't help much with actually meeting the deadlines. I prefer a "systems" mentality. Develop good habits, e.g., writing a few pages every day, rather than trying to cram 20 of them into the last few. It gives you more time to reflect on what you write, to sort of let the ideas percolate and refine a little. Treat applications themselves the same way: a little bit every day, with weekends off if you need them. If you can get yourself into a consistent habit of being productive, the deadlines will be mere formalities rather than looming specters of your increasingly-immanent demise. Or whatever.

But hey, that's just what I did. This process is far from one-size-fits-all.

I wish you the best of luck!

I started seriously thinking about PhD applications toward the end of the first year of my MA program.  I started talking to faculty I built relationships with to get advice on the best way to navigate my second year. I spent my second year taking classes that I knew would adequately prepare me to tackle the thesis I wanted to write. I had been advised to use my thesis as my writing sample. After defending, I worked on cutting down my thesis to an article-length paper while incorporating the comments from my committee. I sent the paper to conferences, and will be presenting it later this month, where I hope to get more feedback. After editing it some more, I may send it to a journal or two and see what comments I get back. Another round or two of revisions and I hope to have a nicely polished writing sample in time for application deadlines next year.

All the while, I looked deeply into many different programs. I made spreadsheets to compare faculty interests, average funding packages, placement records, teaching opportunities and resources, admission stats, and application deadlines and requirements. I looked at 24 different programs, and by combing through these dimensions of each program, and keeping in mind my financial limitations, I narrowed that list down to the 8 programs I will apply to.

I just started crafting a generic SOP that focuses on my three main inter-related areas of interest (which are all touched on in my writing sample), and as time goes on I will tailor this to each department, noting corresponding areas of strength and, if there is a strong overlap, noting specific professors I am interested in working with (I won't be doing this for all schools. It is a tactic that can blow up in your face if you mis-characterize the research interests of the professor; but there are some schools that have professors with very strong and obvious connections to my areas of interest and in these instances I think it's a good idea to make note of that).

I plan on spending the summer studying for the GRE, and taking that in the early fall. At that point I'll notify the professors with whom I've maintained a relationship and ask for letters of recommendation.  I developed relationships with these professors late in my first year/early in my second year. I took their classes, I went to their office hours, I spoke with them about term paper ideas, and asked for advice regarding whether I should go on to the PhD at all, and, once I decided that I eventually would, on what programs would be a good fit for me and would be within my reach. They served on my committee so they are familiar with the work I will be presenting to the adcoms.

In the end, I think your application materials should provide different views of the same story. It will be a red flag if what you state as your AOI in your SOP doesn't match up with what your letter writers state as your AOI, or if your WS is not on one of those topics, or if your AOI don't match the strength of the school.  All of this may be obvious, but it is important to step back and think about the image you present to the adcom.

Sorry if this got preachy.

I started seriously thinking about PhD applications toward the end of the first year of my MA program.  I started talking to faculty I built relationships with to get advice on the best way to navigate my second year. I spent my second year taking classes that I knew would adequately prepare me to tackle the thesis I wanted to write. I had been advised to use my thesis as my writing sample. After defending, I worked on cutting down my thesis to an article-length paper while incorporating the comments from my committee. I sent the paper to conferences, and will be presenting it later this month, where I hope to get more feedback. After editing it some more, I may send it to a journal or two and see what comments I get back. Another round or two of revisions and I hope to have a nicely polished writing sample in time for application deadlines next year.

All the while, I looked deeply into many different programs. I made spreadsheets to compare faculty interests, average funding packages, placement records, teaching opportunities and resources, admission stats, and application deadlines and requirements. I looked at 24 different programs, and by combing through these dimensions of each program, and keeping in mind my financial limitations, I narrowed that list down to the 8 programs I will apply to.

I just started crafting a generic SOP that focuses on my three main inter-related areas of interest (which are all touched on in my writing sample), and as time goes on I will tailor this to each department, noting corresponding areas of strength and, if there is a strong overlap, noting specific professors I am interested in working with (I won't be doing this for all schools. It is a tactic that can blow up in your face if you mis-characterize the research interests of the professor; but there are some schools that have professors with very strong and obvious connections to my areas of interest and in these instances I think it's a good idea to make note of that).

I plan on spending the summer studying for the GRE, and taking that in the early fall. At that point I'll notify the professors with whom I've maintained a relationship and ask for letters of recommendation.  I developed relationships with these professors late in my first year/early in my second year. I took their classes, I went to their office hours, I spoke with them about term paper ideas, and asked for advice regarding whether I should go on to the PhD at all, and, once I decided that I eventually would, on what programs would be a good fit for me and would be within my reach. They served on my committee so they are familiar with the work I will be presenting to the adcoms.

In the end, I think your application materials should provide different views of the same story. It will be a red flag if what you state as your AOI in your SOP doesn't match up with what your letter writers state as your AOI, or if your WS is not on one of those topics, or if your AOI don't match the strength of the school.  All of this may be obvious, but it is important to step back and think about the image you present to the adcom.

Sorry if this got preachy.

I'm not sure what about this might be considered preachy. Seems like a well thought out response.