Value of an IR Degree

Nerdling

I've been asking myself lately if an MPP/MPA/MALD/whatever degree is worth pursuing, as far as professional preparation is concerned. I am thoroughly interested in the subject matter, no doubt, but does this degree type give you adequate preparation to be an effective employee (be it nonprofit, government, private sector, etc)? Are these programs' curricula rigorous enough, or is there still going to be a steep learning curve when you get into an actual position? I realize that there's a learning curve with all professions, but it seems like with other professional programs (law, business, etc) you get much more specific, job-oriented training. If all one accomplishes with an MPP is to build a reservoir of IR-themed knowledge, that's great in and of itself, albeit a pretty expensive way of doing it. Could this be accomplished by auditing a few related classes while pursuing a more "traditional" (for lack of a better word) professional degree? At the end of the day, a professional degree program needs to outfit a recent graduate with a marketable skill set. Do IR MA-type degrees accomplish this in a meaningful way?

Good question,I wonder this all the time... I'm a government employee with a BA doing the same job as my colleagues with professional IR degrees (and the occasional PhD). I'm performing just as well and in some areas better than they are, at least per our job performance reviews and output. Still, I'm trying to go back to school to get a professional degree because I think I would get more respect, be more readily considered for a management position, and develop a network. Substantively, I doubt I would learn very much that I didn't already learn on the job. (I think part of this is also just because I am a few years younger than many of my colleagues.)

I think a professional degree is worth pursuing for those reasons. I'm doing fine now, but eventually will my organization be embarrassed to make me a manager if I don't at least have an MPP/MPA/MBA/MA by my name? That's my impression. The network effect is huge. The programs become a marker of quality and the individual's commitment to a career in IR, rather than substance alone. ("We've hired good people from X program. Let's keep hiring there.")

I think learning curve will depend on the job, since responsibilities are so diverse. The new employees I've observed who do well seem to have maturity and personality factors rather than any common academic background that makes them succeed.

I'm not really crazy about the substance of IR degrees. I think they will be a lot of fun and probably foster good discussion, but it won't be very useful for my purposes. I'd like to learn quant/stats or traditional management stuff to set myself apart from IR colleagues.

First of all, everyone on this thread seems to be tossing the MA in IR, MPA, and MPP degrees into the same category, which is not an accurate assesment. I don't really feel like going into the details, but I suggest you research on your own the differences between these degrees before applying to schools or considering a career in the public sector. There has been a gradual convergence, but they remain distinct degrees with different focuses. Of the three, I think the MA in IR is the most narrow and academic in scope (and in my opinion, the most oversaturated, but make your own assesment of that.)

For the government int'l policy jobs I am familiar with, there is no difference between those degrees. They are all the same class of masters professional degrees. Sure they all market themselves differently, but I think its irrelevant for hiring purposes.