European PhD in History

starrydynamo

I'm currently pursuing my Masters in History at an American university and have been considering where to complete my PhD - also in History (History of Science during the Italian Renaissance to be specific).

Do any Americans have experience with getting a History PhD abroad? I was looking at the European University Institute in Florence. Does anyone have experience with that university specifically? Or could you recommend any others?

Thanks.

I did my undergrad and masters in the US, and I'm in the UK currently.  When you're doing your degree outside the US, keep in mind that you will have to get and live by a visa -- your ability to work outside school will be limited.  If you have a Direct Loan, you will have to keep an eye on the exchange rate -- for example, the pound has gone up 8 cents  since I got my loan organized last summer.  I'll have to take out a larger one to continue studies -- not the end of the world, but! it's a drag. 

You're also going to need to be a self-starter who can write under pressure -- Euro/UK PhDs are done in 3-5 years (5 for medical duress) because you are literally dropped in to the writing phase, while the US typically requires you to take courses and then write, for a total of 5-7 years.  If you have your act together already and have a strong direction for what you want to do with your PhD -- not to mention someone on the other side that is totally into it (and the two of you have a shared language!) -- then I would recommend it. 

You might want to search around; the topic has been explored a lot on this forum, usually contrasting UK and US PhDs. One of the differences that always gets brought up is the lack of access to peer networks in the US that would help at the hiring phase - assuming you wanted to get a job stateside. American PhDs will have an advantage here. They also tend to get more teaching experience. On the other hand, American PhDs take a long time and essentially force you to complete the equivalent of another masters' degree worth of coursework before you can begin your dissertation. And if you're concentrating on European history you'll be further from your sources, requiring expensive and logistically difficult travel to reach them by comparison.

Thanks for your reply.

I have searched around and read about the US vs. UK PhD's, and the problems are as you say - finding work stateside, networking, teaching, funding. I'm alright with the downsides, and living close my sources is more important than anything.

I'm more interested in, how/where people have done it - rather than should I do it.

You might want to search around; the topic has been explored a lot on this forum, usually contrasting UK and US PhDs. One of the differences that always gets brought up is the lack of access to peer networks in the US that would help at the hiring phase - assuming you wanted to get a job stateside. American PhDs will have an advantage here. They also tend to get more teaching experience. On the other hand, American PhDs take a long time and essentially force you to complete the equivalent of another masters' degree worth of coursework before you can begin your dissertation. And if you're concentrating on European history you'll be further from your sources, requiring expensive and logistically difficult travel to reach them by comparison.

Thanks for your reply, Slayer.

A visa is at the top of my list of worries, and I'm married so getting a visa for my wife is also a concern.

Did your Direct Loan cover everything? Were you able to get any funding from the school?

I did my undergrad and masters in the US, and I'm in the UK currently.  When you're doing your degree outside the US, keep in mind that you will have to get and live by a visa -- your ability to work outside school will be limited.  If you have a Direct Loan, you will have to keep an eye on the exchange rate -- for example, the pound has gone up 8 cents  since I got my loan organized last summer.  I'll have to take out a larger one to continue studies -- not the end of the world, but! it's a drag. 

You're also going to need to be a self-starter who can write under pressure -- Euro/UK PhDs are done in 3-5 years (5 for medical duress) because you are literally dropped in to the writing phase, while the US typically requires you to take courses and then write, for a total of 5-7 years.  If you have your act together already and have a strong direction for what you want to do with your PhD -- not to mention someone on the other side that is totally into it (and the two of you have a shared language!) -- then I would recommend it. 

Sorry for the delayed response.  The Direct Loan is limited to $20k a year, so I take out a PLUS loan to cover the rest -- don't go Sallie Mae.  There is a $139k or so ceiling of Direct Loan debt you're allowed to accrue, but PLUS loans are unlimited, though you have to go through additional counseling if you've managed to hit the $139k cap on Direct.  I was able to get a teaching studentship -- aka TF position for half tuition.  York encourages PhDs to teach, actually, and makes opportunities for them to do so.  It's a younger school so it may have a different perspective than the older schools.  Your mileage may vary depending upon your school. 

Since you are married, you will have to consider that you need to rent a flat or a house privately -- fairly sure the wife doesn't want to live in a shared house with 18 of your schoolmates.  Factor that in when you create your budget and judge how much you should take out for your loan.  I underestimated my first year, and while liveable, I can foresee difficulties if I don't fix it!  London and the surrounding area (including Oxford) is 50%-150% more expensive than other areas of the country.  I got into Oxford, but I ultimately went York for my awesome supervisor and also for the fact I wasn't willing to take on double the debt for Oxford vs York (who just joined the Russell group and gives Oxbridge a run for their money in the tables in certain areas); a one-bedroom flat in a meh area within bussing distance of Oxford was 700 quid at minimum, while I was able to score a flat within busing distance of York for 495 in a great area.

Americans rarely get full funding due to the education disparity (we have the best and the brightest, but we also have many, many students that are under-served and tank the standings); you never know what you're going to get until the student gets to the UK.  Also, the AHRC funding tends to be limited to British citizens, but departments are willing to work with students and their needs based on the students' merits.  The visa is no biggie, honestly; the one person I knew had a problem with bringing the wife over hired an immigration lawyer, and the problem was resolved in a matter of a couple weeks.  The bigger challenge will be if your wife wants to work while in the country.  That's a whole slew of hoops to jump through.  I don't have any experience with that.  

If you have any super personal questions, drop me a PM. :)