Advice on where to apply for Biostats/Stats

I'm looking to apply to Biostatistics PhD programs and wanted some advice on where I would be a good fit. I've only been in school for 2 years so my profile's probably a little lacking for the top programs, but I'm on track to graduate next year and hope to apply to start grad school in Fall 2015.

Here's my profile:

Undergrad Institution: large public school, top 30 stats department, probably 50-70 math department

Major: Mathematics, Statistics

Minor: Actuarial Science, Entrepreneurship

GPA: 3.9 to 3.95 by application

Type of Student: DWM

GRE General Test: haven’t taken yet, expecting 165-170 Q based on practice tests

Math Classes: 3 semesters of calculus, differential equations, a set theory class, linear algebra, abstract algebra, probability, statistics theory (math stats), mathematical biology

Will be taking next fall: Regression Analysis, Theory of Interest, Advanced Calculus 1 (real analysis 1)

Next Spring (not sure if important): Experimental Design, Categorical Data Analysis, Advanced Calculus 2, possibly a numerical analysis course

Will they take into consideration the fact that I'm taking real analysis as I'm applying? I know it's really important for some programs.

Research Experience: None, might be able to squeeze in a senior thesis. If I did some independent statistical analyses on some open data, would that be relevant at all?

Pertinent Activities or Jobs: President of a business organization, officer in math club

Letters of Recommendation: Probably a good but not great letter from a pretty well-known stats teacher, a decent letter from a math faculty who knows me a little but not that well, and the third I'm not sure, I'll have to build a relationship with one of my professors next fall

Any Miscellaneous Points that Might Help: Participated in a health case competition but didn't place, studying abroad this summer (probably should have applied for REUs)

SOP: I've been pretty good at writing things like these and showing my passion in the past for essays for scholarships, so maybe this can tip the scales in my favor if it's a close decision?

So what do you guys think my range of reaches, good fits, and safeties should be? Do I have shot at cracking the Harvard, WashU, JHU group? I wouldn't have a problem going to a lower-ranked program as long as it was funded. I'd also be interested in programs that help you find relevant jobs during some summers.

Also, I would consider applying to some Statistics PhDs that are mainly 'applied' programs. I've heard NC State is like this, are there any others?

Thanks for helping!

If you can get stronger letters of recommendation that say something memorable about you (rather than just "he was one of the top students" but that give concrete examples of your research potential, e.g. "He completed a project where he did [x y and z] and demonstrated clear ability to comprehend statistical literature"), I'd say you would be a very solid candidate for most biostatistics PhD programs. For pure statistics programs, you are a solid candidate as well, but I think your profile will be even better if you get *all* strong LORs. At the top programs, it is difficult to assess your chances, but I'd say you can definitely get into a top 20 stats program and likely a few top 10 too.

Your admission chances will probably boil down to your letters though, since it seems your other stats are excellent.

Edited by Applied Math to Stat

looking like a very solid candidate. what are your plans this summer? I bet it's not too late to get into a research situation, I would poke around your large public institution to try and find something to work on with a professor. You should persistently ask professors in your math/stats department if they know of anything you can work on, as that could easily lead to a terrific letter of recommendation to tack onto the two it seems you already have locked down. This could be the topping point into a top school. Also: Start drafting your SOP and researching departments early! and maybe consider applying for one of the graduate research fellowships. Good Luck!

Thanks for your help! Does anyone have a comprehensive list of the Statistics departments that are considered more "applied" than theoretical? Ones that have high placement rates in industry rather than academia?

For stats (not biostat), NCSU, Duke, Ohio State, Harvard have some great industry placement and seem to place more folks in industry rather than academia. NCSU and Carnegie Mellon seem much more into applied stats (judging from their research and the past dissertation topics). Both would be excellent places to shoot for.

I think Biostats would be relatively applied most places.