Advice on realistic Masters Statistics

fage0%

Hello everyone  :)

I am junior at private university in US double majoring in Mathematics and Economics.

I have been thinking about applying to Master's Statistics program ever since my sophomore year when I realized Economics is not my fit but I was only two classes away from completing Economics major and realized I like Statistics but my school doesn't offer Statistics major.  :blink:

I am also open to pursing PhD in Statistics but I do not have any research experience so I am afraid that I am not qualified for PhD in Statistics yet.

Again, my school doesn't offer statistics major and our math department is very much concentrated in pure math so I have been gathering information mostly online.

This time, I would to post and ask how competitive I am relative to other applicants for Statistics Master at schools that I am considering:

Stanford, Harvard, Chicago, UNC, UC Berkeley, Duke, U Michigan, NCSU, Columbia, CMU, Cornell

Thank you very much. 

Type of Student: Domestic Asian Male (permanent resident)

Undergrad Institution: TOP 30 Private School
Majors:
 Double major in Mathematics & Economics 
GPA: 3.68 overall

Courses: Linear Algebra(A-), Multivariate Calc (A-), Proof(A-), Probability Thoery (A-), Mathematical Statistics (A), JAVA (A-)

undergrad Algebra 2 (B+), DEQ (B+), Combinatorics (B ) (I had really rough semeter.....)

Intermediate Micro (A), Intermediate Macro(A), Econ Statistics (A), Econometrics (A), Financial Economic (A)

and bunch of other Econ courses that are not really relevant

currently(2nd semester junior) taking: Algebra 1, Advanced Calc (only on Fourier Series, Fourier Integral, ODE, PDE), Bio-statics

Master's level Macro (mostly on dynamic programming),

will be taking Real Analysis, Number Theory, Data Structure next semester 

Research Experience: None

Relevant Jobs: I worked at an small accounting firm, and I will be doing an internship at PwC consulting (not US, but my home country) 

For last 2 years, I have been working as TA for economics department with with lower level class.

I also assisted PhD student teaching Econometrics during summer.

Letters of Rec: I am pretty sure I can get decent or good letters but my only concern in that math PhD who though probability theory and mathematical statistics left school because she was pregnant, and I did really well in her classes and I was also kinda close with her but I am not sure if her letter will carry any weight since she is not working with educational institutions anymore and raising her child.

Research Interests: Applied Statistics (optimization or finance)

Other: JAVA, R, Matlab

Thank you very much!!!

Edited by fage0%