"Commitment to fostering diversity"???

I am applying to the Columbia Bridge program, which is similar to graduate school. In my statement of intent, I have to "address [my] demonstrated commitment to fostering diversity in the natural sciences."

The program encourages minorities and women to apply, so I kind of understand why they ask. I am a hispanic woman. How can I/anyone be committed to fostering diversity? I don't even really understand what the question is. It's not as though I've ever staffed my own research group or something, so I have no idea what to say, and I don't think that I can claim that I am the diversity, haha

Help? Ideas?

I'm not sure this is exactly the same thing, but one of my applications talked about wanting a diverse campus. I talked about traveling mostly and how my experiences brought a new perspective. I think you could incorporate your background and how it would bring a perspective that might otherwise be lacking. I might also talk about how you have incorporated outside perspectives in your research or life in general.

Edited by TheGirlWhoLived

The program encourages minorities and women to apply, so I kind of understand why they ask. I am a hispanic woman. How can I/anyone be committed to fostering diversity? I don't even really understand what the question is. It's not as though I've ever staffed my own research group or something, so I have no idea what to say, and I don't think that I can claim that I am the diversity, haha

This kind of statement is required by schools. You can write about any way you can think of that you will contribute to or foster diversity. Tutoring, traveling, volunteering, and if relevant then being diverse. I think it's completely valid to write about yourself and how you'll contribute to diversity by bringing your own perspective, which (as a minority) is less often heard in the classroom. 

I want to add also that the Columbia Bridge program (http://academicplanning.columbia.edu/bridge-phd-program-natural-sciences) is a special program that specifically targets underrepresented minorities in the natural sciences, so I think their statement that they "encourage minorities and women to apply" is maybe a little bit more genuine than the default statement that every other program is required to state!

I don't know very much about these types of programs, but I think the user juilletmercredi does. I remember seeing a thread in which she wrote a post about her experience in a similar type of program. I found it using the search here for you: 

Maybe if you contact juilletmercredi, she can help you answer this question?

Edited by TakeruK

I want to add also that the Columbia Bridge program (http://academicplanning.columbia.edu/bridge-phd-program-natural-sciences) is a special program that specifically targets underrepresented minorities in the natural sciences, so I think their statement that they "encourage minorities and women to apply" is maybe a little bit more genuine than the default statement that every other program is required to state!

Good point! In that case, it's worth taking this requirement very seriously. I'm sure there are articles about the bridge program where they explain why it's important and what audience it caters to. OP, I'd read some of them and see how what they describe applies to you. 

Hey, thanks, everyone! This gives me some ideas. What really threw me off about the question is that it makes it seems so active. Like, not "how will you bring diversity" or "why is diversity important" but "what are YOU doing to make sure the sciences are diverse." The deadline is impending and I'm still not quite sure what to say.

I will try to contact that user, thank you!