[MA Economics] UBC (unfunded) vs. SFU

Was wondering if I could just get some input from you guys. I need to make this decision in the next few days, and I'm really not sure. From my rough calculations, both options would cost about $20k for the 12 months including living costs. SFU is offering 17k in TA-ships throughout the 12 months. UBC is offering no funding. My parents are willing to support me with either choice, but obviously I'd feel better not taking 20k from them but it's not a complete deal breaker, obviously otherwise I wouldn't be considering UBC. 

Well, if you're getting support from your parents, step back and compare the two programs. Who would you be working with? Are there differences in what you would be working on? What is your opinion of brutalist architecture? Do you prefer commuting primarily by train or by bus? Which academic culture fits best with your own beliefs and values? (UBC is more traditional and surprisingly conservative, SFU has a strong history of radicalism, though it has moved away from that of late, for anyone who was wondering.) 

Think about which school you would pick if they both offered you the same amount of money. The fact that you're considering this makes me think you're leaning towards UBC, because if it really was a toss up between the two, you'd just follow the money. Have you spoken to any professors or current MA students in either program?

Is all the SFU money in TA-ships? 17k is a lot of money for a masters student in the social sciences, so if part of it is in the form of some fellowship or award, that could be a potential CV booster.

Well both are coursework based MA's, UBC is an interesting 8 months of courses and then a final 4 month project course and paper to finish the program. SFU is just 3 terms of straight coursework and a final MA exam to finish.

Unfortunately there hasn't been any students from my undergrad school that's gone to SFU for a MA recently so I can't find anyone to talk to. As for UBC, I just received the offer a couple of days ago so I haven't had a chance to ask around.

And yeah it's all TA-ship money. It's something like 5700/term * 3 terms = 17,100 for the 12 months.

Does UBC have any opportunities for TA/RA, even if you would not have priority? I believe TA positions are priority-based (i.e., certain groups have priority, and if you weren't "guaranteed" a TA position, you are not in the top group), but I don't know much about UBC's program. I stupidly did not apply there as my ug advisor scared me away with tales of very high requirements, and some friends with weak profiles were rejected, seemingly confirming that...

Aside from questions about which is the better fit for you (program-wise, opportunity-wise, research-wise), UBC is a better ranked school. period. All else equal, go for the higher ranked school. Since it's course-based, does one school offer more courses that you want to take?

It's also worth asking UBC if they'll give you money. You never know and asking will have zero impact on the offer or your reputation, should you choose to attend. Funding may be directed toward students pursuing a thesis, but that doesn't mean you couldn't potentially get some.

20k isn't huge. Is it interest free? Do they want it paid back?

Does UBC have any opportunities for TA/RA, even if you would not have priority? I believe TA positions are priority-based (i.e., certain groups have priority, and if you weren't "guaranteed" a TA position, you are not in the top group), but I don't know much about UBC's program. I stupidly did not apply there as my ug advisor scared me away with tales of very high requirements, and some friends with weak profiles were rejected, seemingly confirming that...

Aside from questions about which is the better fit for you (program-wise, opportunity-wise, research-wise), UBC is a better ranked school. period. All else equal, go for the higher ranked school. Since it's course-based, does one school offer more courses that you want to take?

It's also worth asking UBC if they'll give you money. You never know and asking will have zero impact on the offer or your reputation, should you choose to attend. Funding may be directed toward students pursuing a thesis, but that doesn't mean you couldn't potentially get some.

20k isn't huge. Is it interest free? Do they want it paid back?

I was told by a prof in our dept that with my marks (I did fine in micro/macro, I just stumbled a bit at the wrong time in econometrics), UBC realistically wouldn't be an option. But I applied anyway, and ended up in my situation. 

The email simply says they're not in a position to offer and funding/financial assistance at this time, and they I'm only being offered admission "at this time". I know that doesn't quite mean no funding, but from what I've heard it does pretty much mean that. Especially for a one year program. 

I don't think my parents expect me to pay interest on it, and not sure that they'll actually ask for it back. But I plan on doing so either way. 

I personally would go with the money, unless you plan to earn over $90,000 then perhaps I'd consider UBC, and even then only if there were significant differences between the two programs. $20,000 might not seem much on paper but the reality of it strikes when you have to make monthly payments and your money could be going into your savings account instead, towards a car (which you may need for your first job) or a down payment for a home. It also looks much more impressive on a cv if you have funding - it makes you stand out from other grads in your program. The profs you TA for will also know you better than profs for your coursework. So you'll have 3 extra profs who can provide references for you after you graduate because they'll know you better than if you were simply a student in one of their classes.

Edited by jenste

I personally would go with the money, unless you plan to earn over $90,000 then perhaps I'd consider UBC, and even then only if there were significant differences between the two programs. $20,000 might not seem much on paper but the reality of it strikes when you have to make monthly payments and your money could be going into your savings account instead, towards a car (which you may need for your first job) or a down payment for a home. It also looks much more impressive on a cv if you have funding - it makes you stand out from other grads in your program. The profs you TA for will also know you better than profs for your coursework. So you'll have 3 extra profs who can provide references for you after you graduate because they'll know you better than if you were simply a student in one of their classes.

I mean I'd like to earn as much as I can, I know $90k out of school with a MA (even if it's from UBC) isn't realistic but I certainly do plan on making at least that much a few years down the road. 

I'm 99% sure I'm gonna bite the bullet and give up the funding to attend UBC. I'm not particularly aiming for a PhD, but I want to keep my options open and I also hear the federal government recruits a lot out of UBC (specifically looking at Bank of Canada/Statscan). I understand a MA econ in Canada will allow me to get jobs, but I don't want to be limited in my options because I don't have a degree from the big 4. 

I mean I'd like to earn as much as I can, I know $90k out of school with a MA (even if it's from UBC) isn't realistic but I certainly do plan on making at least that much a few years down the road. 

I'm 99% sure I'm gonna bite the bullet and give up the funding to attend UBC. I'm not particularly aiming for a PhD, but I want to keep my options open and I also hear the federal government recruits a lot out of UBC (specifically looking at Bank of Canada/Statscan). I understand a MA econ in Canada will allow me to get jobs, but I don't want to be limited in my options because I don't have a degree from the big 4. 

Course-based may limit your options for PhD, since you'll have less opportunities for research/publishing.