WashU Center in Political Economy

Dialogue

Is anyone familiar with this program? The website states that they offer a terminal masters degree, though it is incredibly outdated and gives very little meaningful information. Any insight on funding, program strength, respectability, competitiveness, etc?

I'm trying to figure out if I should apply for a terminal MA or directly to doctoral programs. I'm not certain as to what I'd like to research (though it will be in or related to Political Economy) and also feel like I could use additional training in quant methods.

Here's a link to the website: http://cpe.wustl.edu/

Someone at the WashU admitted students weekend had just finished her MA from the Center for Political Economy. She seemed smart. It seems like they probably do a quantitative methods sequence and a microeconomics sequence, which will make you better prepared than most of your cohort when you enter a PhD program. Letters from Schofield/Sened can't hurt either. Looks like a recent MA student (Evan Schneidman) is now a Harvard graduate student, another is at Indiana, and the girl I met is starting at WUSTL next year, so that's a pretty good record. If you're going to do a terminal MA, this is probably a good idea. I don't know anything about funding, but I'll say that most terminal MA programs are not going to fund very many students.

My $0.02.

• 4 months later...
  • 4 months later...

Does anyone else have additional info about this program? Its website is so out of date and no one has returned my phone call.

I know someone who was there. Program is small. They might fund your tuition for the first semester based on your application, but you have to do well to get tuition remission the second semester. It's a one year program and requires a thesis, which you are allowed to defend in the summer.

• 3 weeks later...

I received my BA from WashU in 2008. I applied to the Weidenbaum Center's political economy program and was accepted, but ultimately decided not to attend because they would only offer me full tuition remission. I think this is pretty good for a master's program, but I was not excited about having to pay for my own room and board.

That said, I really liked the administrator of the program and the (international) political economy faculty. Some of the more senior ones are very busy, but I would have been very happy if the finances worked out.