Questions from the uninitiated

studyordie

Hello- My PhD aspirations in a different field have fallen through and I'll be working this next year with mentally ill adults. The whole MSW thing has begun to cross my mind and as I think about applications for next year I had a few questions:

1. I would be interested in a clinical path with further emphasis on psychodynamic methods. The most convenient school for me to attend would be VCU (if I could get in of course) which doesn't seem to favor the whole psychodynamic thing. My question is, does that sort of refined emphasis even matter at the level of the MSW or does all the base coursework form the vast majority of the degree? I'm asking because even the pschodynamic-friendly schools I've ID'd seem to only have one class on the books that deals with the topic. If it doesn't matter at this level that would help me plan stuff out.

2. Do tuition-free scholarships happen at the master's level in this discipline? The school websites seem ambiguous on this point.

Thanks to anybody who has a moment to comment :D

Are you open to applying to other schools out-of-state? Some MSW programs are still accepting applications now, but if you want full consideration of financial aid, apply for Fall 2010 admissions. Consider schools that have your research focus. You may end up much happier.

Hello- My PhD aspirations in a different field have fallen through and I'll be working this next year with mentally ill adults. The whole MSW thing has begun to cross my mind and as I think about applications for next year I had a few questions:

1. I would be interested in a clinical path with further emphasis on psychodynamic methods. The most convenient school for me to attend would be VCU (if I could get in of course) which doesn't seem to favor the whole psychodynamic thing. My question is, does that sort of refined emphasis even matter at the level of the MSW or does all the base coursework form the vast majority of the degree? I'm asking because even the pschodynamic-friendly schools I've ID'd seem to only have one class on the books that deals with the topic. If it doesn't matter at this level that would help me plan stuff out.

2. Do tuition-free scholarships happen at the master's level in this discipline? The school websites seem ambiguous on this point.

Thanks to anybody who has a moment to comment :D

I do not know of any SW programs that would award full tuition scholarships. It certainly could happen though if you were to receive some university-wide fellowship that could be used for the SW program. The most I was ever awarded was a half tuition scholarship. You should look into outside scholarships like the Jack Kent Cooke, and see if you qualify for scholarships listed on the CSWE site.

Typically schools will let you select a concentration in the second year where you could choose more clinically focused classes. I guess the range of classes depends on the school. Of course there are schools much more clinically focused like Simmons and NYU you can look into if you are able to leave VA.

Have you also looked into PhD Clinical Psychology programs? That may also be a good fit for you in you are interested in psychodynamics.