Looking for advice on MS Applied Math programs

Hi, I'm new to gradcafe and have been reading through results and forums. I am really wanting to attend graduate school for an MS in applied mathematics or numerical analysis. My background isn't very strong and I'm wondering the chances of getting funding for an MS in applied math.

Type of Student: Domestic Hispanic Female

Undergrad Institution: Public States School (not highly ranked)
Majors: Mathematics
GPA: 3.45 overall, 3.21 in math, 2.97 in upper-division math
Courses: Calculus Series, Differential Equations, 2 semesters Real Analysis, 1 semester Abstract Algebra, Complex Variables, Discrete Math, Probability, Mathematical Modeling, Computational Number Theory, Numerical Solutions to PDEs, Numerical Linear Algebra, Numerical Solutions of ODEs, Systems of ODEs, Non-Euc Geometry
Other: Have withdrawn and failed some courses and took 5 years to complete undergrad.
Other: Honor's College Member, Pi Mu Epsilon Math Honors Society Member, 3 terms honor roll

GRE General Test: plan on taking this October 2014

Math GRE: plan on taking this October 2014

Research Experience: 1 year of research experience in applied math with a math professor which will culminate in a poster presentation for my school's honor's college, a written undergrad thesis and a thesis defense in September 2014.
Relevant Jobs: Experience as a math tutor.
Letters of Rec: Should have one coming from my math research advisor/professor, one from my math courses advisor, and one from my numerical analysis professor. 
Research Interests: Applied mathematics or numerical analysis.
Applying to grad schools: Winter '14/'15 for attendance in Fall 2015

I would appreciate your advice about my chances of getting funded at the following schools. Are there others that I should look at for a better chance?

Schools: Arizona State, University of California (LA), Cal Poly (San Luis Obispo), UC Davis, Oregon State, Portland State, Univeristy of Washington, Delaware State, Colorado State, University of Illinois (Chicago).

Thanks so much in advance!

Ouch. Failed coursework? Sub 3.0 upper div GPA? That's a hard sell. Then again, there is a thread dedicated entirely to sub 3.0-ers getting into grad school, so it's not hopeless. But regardless, even with stellar everything, I dunno how to accurately gauge your chances.

Let's see... as for your list:

I heard UW Seattle doesn't have much funding available (the exact words were "They have no money", but I'm fairly certain that was an exaggeration). I applied to their PhD program and was admited to their aplied math masters, no funding. I was told that RA and TAships were available, but that it was very competitive.

As for UCLA, per the website: "M.A.: Applicants must have earned a cumulative grade-point average of at least 3.2 in the above-mentioned upper division mathematics courses." That might be a problem for you.

Other schools:

ASU: "with limited funding available for MA degree seeking students." It also sounds like not even their PhD students have guaranteed funding.

Cal Poly SLO: "A limited number of part-time teaching positions are available to qualified graduate students. This can often be supplemented by assisting in tutorial sessions or working in the Student Services office as a facilitator."

UC Davis: "All of our students, as long as they are in good academic standing, continue to make progress toward their degree, and perform satisfactorily in an appointed position (such as TAship or AIship), receive departmental or University financial support of some type"--though I do not know if tuition is waivered in this case. It's implied that it might not be.

Oregon State: "The Mathematics Department currently has about 65 graduate students. About 55 of our graduate students hold Graduate Teaching Assistantships or Fellowships. The department awards 15 to 18 new graduate assistantship appointments annually. The 2012-13 nine-month assistantship stipend for an entering graduate student is $15,500. The assistantship appointment also gives complete tuition remission, some fee reimbursement, and covers 85% of the student health insurance premium."

Portland State: "A limited number of graduate assistantships are available on a competitive basis... Acceptance into the graduate program does not guarantee financial assistance.  Currently there are three types of financial support that students may apply for and receive through the department." Dear God I hope this one's from the right Portland. There are like 9 Portland's in the US alone. Why was that allowed to happen?

Delaware State: ??? What even is their college website? I can't navigate a damn thing

Colorado State: Hard to tell how many of the students get funding ("a majority" of their students" are supported? Come on, we're all math people here and we know that 50.1% is roughly the lower bound for the actual percentage of students getting funding). It's pretty clear that Masters students can get GTAs. There's also this thing where grad students are required to establish residency in Colorado, and be responsible for the difference in in-state and out-of-state tuition.

University of Illinois (Chicago): "Applicants must have a baccalaureate from an accreditedcollege or university, a grade point average of at least 3.0 for the final 60 credit hours of undergraduate study,at least 20 credit hours of undergraduate work in mathematics beyond calculus with a minimum grade point average of 3.0" That may be a problem. Also no guarantee of support.

Why did you fail those classes? I don't mean to prod, but I'm given to understand that a low GPA and/or poor profile has to be justified somehow. Or covered up with something else.

As for my advice, I've got a couple bits:

- Contact schools, ask them if they fund their masters students and how comonly masters students are funded.

- Check webites to see if there is any guaranteed funding thing. Apparently Davis does this. I know Ohio State has guaranteed funding for admitted MS students as well. If 100% of the students get funded, and you are a student, then you will be funded. QED.

- Check to see if you even meet GPA and other application requirements. I mean, I hear that these aren't always hard stops, but I feel as though not meeting these requirements would reduce your chances of getting aid even if you did get in.

- Consider outside sources of funding, like NSF fellowships

Hello! Thanks so much for the reply. Yeah, I think this is a good reality check to hear. I failed courses because of having health issues with PTSD from traumatic experiences. It was difficult to deal with while attending college and working. Now that I'm on the other side of most of my PTSD symptoms it's pretty painful to look back at the result.

Again, thank you for your input!

My overall gpa was similar to yours. I never calculated my math gpa. If my experience is anything to go by, you will definitely get in to a few places. However, getting funding is going to be tough. I applied to Ohio State this year and didn't get in.