Weird work situation now that I've been accepted and going back to school...

ahimsa000

Hi guys,

So I was recently accepted to Brown (still can't believe it!) and I am really excited to start, and so is my family. That being said, my sister posted something on Facebook so all my friends could see it, basically stating that I'd be attending Brown in the Fall. One of my coworkers accidentally let it slip to my direct manager/lead that I got in, and she seemed surprised (from what I heard). I don't know what to do, I work the graveyard shift, so I don't see her and I don't want upper management finding out until July when I actually plan to quit. Any suggestions on what to do? I don't want to leave on bad terms. Thanks! :)

First, congratulations on your acceptance! Second, I don't think you should worry so much. Why are you concerned about them finding out early? I was in a different situation because my supervisor wrote some of my recommendation letters for me so she knew I was going to be leaving. I did have to tell HR because they sent out some information on benefits (our summer benefits are deducted from our spring paychecks) and I didn't want them to deduct them because I didn't want to deal with refunds. Everyone has been nothing but supportive and wished me lots of luck. It definitely helps that I don't feel like I having to tip toe around or lie to people.

I think being direct with your lead is the best way. But also, depending on where you work, it could be serious issues if people were spreading things around to upper management but you can't put people in a spot where they have to lie. If you wanted, you could have your coworker who said something, go back to the supervisor and tell them they think they weren't actually supposed to say something, and that you want to tell the rest of their coworkers directly.