Hunter vs Columbia Teachers College (urgent)

RussianSpy

Hi guys, it's me again ;-)

I was about to mail my commitment deposit to Hunter today, when I decided to check Apply Yourself and to much of my surprise discovered that Columbia has also accepted me :-0

Now I am completely lost. I would obviously love to go to Columbia, but the thought of incurring $65k debt for a profession (Special Education) that doesn't pay much scares the hell out of me. But on the other hand, my ultimate goal is to work for the Board Of Ed, so hopefully a portion of my loans can potentially be excused.

Please help me decide because my deadline for Hunter is next week.

Oh man! What a decision to make!

I had to make a choice between a state school and Ivy. Chose the former bc of the same concerns: don't plan on racking up more student debt to go into a field that will take a while to pay back, whether through forgiveness programs or out of my own pockets.

If your goal is to work for DOE, I highly doubt a Columbia degree is going to put you ahead of the curve THAT much.

I hope to making that same decision. Just waiting to hear back from the MA in Organizational Psychology. The orientation of the department, program, and mission statement of teachers college has me hooked.

Dear tdix09, thank you very much for advise. Are you content with your decision?

I personally find it very hard to say NO to Ivy League school. My other pro-Ivy reasoning is that I have 0 undergrad debt primarily because I went to Hunter for it, and Hunter has been super-generous to me. Also, my fiancé had 0 debt as well for his undergrad (also a CUNY school) and MBA (curtesy of Goldman Sachs LOL) so between the 2 of our graduate degrees, my Teachers College debt is not going to be tooooo horrible I am thinking.

But on the other hand, I hate to own $$$ even if it's to the government :-) Also, besides feeding my vanity, I really don't see that much more benefit from Ivy degree vs CUNY degree. I don't plan to go for PhD or administration, so Hunter would more than suffice I guess...

What a paradox of choice... When I was working on my application, I was praying to God to be accepted to 1 school, I didn't even care which one, but now I cannot sleep at night trying to make the most optimal choice

Amari, when did you apply? Have you tried checking the Apply Yourself portal? That's where I learned about my decision status because I have not ever received an email or snail mail from Teachers College notifying me about them admitting me.

• 2 weeks later...

@russianspy Does the MA program at Hunter College provides free tuition? you should attend Columbia especially if you have any intention in the future to pursue a doctoral degree. 

Hello naomi,

Hunter does not offer a free tuition, but 1 credit at Hunter costs $405 vs $1,344/ credit at Columbia. In fact, I met with financial aid officers from both schools this week, and learned that Hunter doesn't offer any financial aid to Master's students at the School of Education, whereas Columbia might but has not done so yet. Still, the whole M's degree @ Hunter would cost me $25K vs $65K at Columbia, which is a pretty significant difference for me because this field pays ~$50K/ year at least for the first several years after graduation.

I don't intend to pursue PhD, but i hope to obtain a BCBA certificate in the future.

Can you kindly substantiate your suggestion re: Columbia?

• 2 weeks later...

Dear tdix09, thank you very much for advise. Are you content with your decision?

What a paradox of choice... When I was working on my application, I was praying to God to be accepted to 1 school, I didn't even care which one, but now I cannot sleep at night trying to make the most optimal choice

Im sorry I didnt see this - by now you've made your decision.

I am content in my decision. Moreso because I needed to leave NY. We're at different places - you have a partner to consider and it sounds like you two are looking to settle into/stay here. I've been here my whole life and need a new environment. Philly was new-ish, but still reminded me too much of NY, and I think I'd be too tempted to come home too often. The cost differential was a factor, seeing as how I have UG debt (from NYU) so I'd like to pay that off/down.

Another difference - your masters (AFAYK) is your terminal degree, so you might go all out and go for TC. For me, a PhD is likely, so I've got another shot, so to speak.

Im sorry I didnt see this - by now you've made your decision, and I hope a good one!

I am content in my decision. Moreso because I needed to leave NY. We're at different places - you have a partner to consider and it sounds like you two are looking to settle into/stay here. I've been here my whole life and need a new environment. Philly was new-ish, but still reminded me too much of NY, and I think I'd be too tempted to come home too often. The cost differential was a factor, seeing as how I have UG debt (from NYU) so I'd like to pay that off/down.

Another difference - your masters (AFAYK) is your terminal degree, so you might go all out and go for TC. For me, a PhD is likely, so I've got another shot, so to speak.