MA/PhD application after 5 years working

SNS1011

Hi Everyone -

I have a semi-unconventional sort of situation I'd like to share, and hopefully get some guidance as I begin the process of getting back into the art world and applying for MA programs (with the hope of going on to PhD).  My area of concentration is Italian Baroque - I'm essentially interested in the art markets of that time - systems of patronage, etc etc.  

I graduated from Duke in 2009 with a degree in Art History (~3.8 major GPA, ~3.2 overall GPA - I had dabbled in a few other classes that didn't go so well).  From there on out, my path has been a little bit unconventional for an ARH graduate.  After spending a year teaching at a small learning center, I went on to pursue a Master of Accounting, and have spent the past 3 years working in not-for-profit auditing and accounting.  While it's been nice to have the income, and I've been fortunate to have some clients in the art world, I've given it enough of a chance to know that it's really not for me.  I've always been a learner, a researcher, and a writer and miss the passion I had for my Art History studies - Needless to say, at the age of 26 I am really feeling the pull to get back into academia and make it my lifelong career.  I'm also prepared for the income loss (After paying DC rent for 3 years I feel like I'm already living on stipend) and the difficulties of finding a teaching position - It's worth it to me to do something I love.

I've set a goal of entering a MA program by Fall of 2016.  I'm not sure I'll be prepared to any sooner - I need to retake the GRE since my scores have expired, and would like to take a few classes at my local university as a refresher.  I think an MA is my only realistic choice since it has been 5 or so years outside of school and I haven't been working in the field - I'd like the opportunity put out a solid master's thesis to make myself a candidate at some of the strongest PhD programs.  

A few general questions:

What can I do now to make myself a more attractive candidate to MA programs?

Recommendation letters - I have two former Art History professors who are willing to write me letters.  However, would it be strange to have a letter coming from a professor at my graduate school who knows me very well as a student and a researcher - even if in accounting?

Any program suggestions?  I've identified a pretty giant list of all the schools that have terminal MA/MA-PhD programs (I have a few professors who's research I really love, but they are all situated with PhD programs), but am open to any suggestions for programs so I can help narrow that.

Thanks so much for all your help!  I'm in the very beginnings of figuring out how to go about this, but truly feel as though it's the right path for me after several years in the "real world."  It's been a great learning experience - I've figured out what I like and don't like, and I've had time to really hone my interests and find what I'm passionate about - but needless to say it's difficult figuring out how exactly to go back to school - so any advice is really appreciated!   :)

hi SNS, 

I also took some time off of school; however, I worked in an art museum during this time in various capacities, so my situation is very different from yours. 

My recommendations are: 

1: Know what field you want to go into and the general area (and subarea) that you are interested in pursuing. Lets say you are interested in modern russian art and are interested in the role of females in this area. Take something even vaguely specific like that and run with it. 

2: For your SOP, don't spend a lot of time rehashing your passion or your accounting background. Spend the time on your undergraduate studies (and productivity in art history major) and speak of how your art history education framed your current interests.

3: Since you are in DC (I'm assuming the actual city rather than Nova), I highly encourage you to volunteer at any of the museums. It may be too late to apply for an internship, and I fear that an internship commitment may interfere with your work schedule; however, volunteering or even serving as a docent (or training to become a docent) will propel your application very well and show your commitment to the field. There may also be part time opportunities to serve as an assistant in a private gallery; however, I think a museum will look better (unless that gallery is v. prominent). 

4: I would actually forgo a strong accounting recommendation in favor of an average or favorable art history one. I vote the art history recommendations 

5: Word of caution, many MA programs do not offer stipends or even scholarships, in case you were banking on this. It may also be in your interest to include MA/PhD programs IF the fit is correct. Don't sabotage yourself only applying to MA programs especially if they have nothing in common with what you want to study. 

6: You could theoretically apply for Fall 2015 if you'd like - when I finally decided to apply I gave myself 6 months to accomplish everything and it was possible. However, I only applied to four schools. I started prepping in July, I took the GRE in September, have my applications out the door by December. Interviewed in January and February, and was in my current program by the following August. 

Hope this helps! good luck! 

Thanks, fullofpink!  Your reply was very helpful.  

Definitely trying to get a docent spot this summer - it's amazingly competitive in DC at a lot of the bigger museums, but I'm hoping my degree and having interned at a museum before (during college) will give me a good leg up.

Noted on the recommendations, for sure.

I think MA/PhD would definitely be the ultimate goal.  I feel like I need to strengthen myself as an applicant with an MA thesis, so I think it did end up at a terminal MA I would be very careful about choosing one that isn't a "dead-end" sort of Master's, whereas one that turns out a good amount of doctoral candidates.  Maybe I'm wrong - I would feel more confidence about an application where I have a MA thesis as opposed to a strong undergraduate essay, and a recommendation from someone who can speak to more recent works.  Perhaps I'm wrong in my thinking?

Regardless, thanks so much for your response!  Best of luck to you also! 

Edited by SNS1011

Hey SNS, 

Depending on what career you are interested in getting your MA or PhD for, I would highly recommend picking up any book on the grad school process. I typically recommend "Getting What You Came For" and "Graduate Study for the 21st Century." They not only explain how humanities grad school works - which is helpful - but also what potential selection committees look for and how to cater your application to them. Your writing sample is important; however, coming in with a BA they are looking for the ability to think outside the box, argue your thesis, and that you are a good researcher. If your writing sample is in your field (or intersects with your intended subfields) then that helps. Many MA/PhD programs seem to prefer people with their MAs already, but that is because many of the students with MAs are coming in knowing what they want to write their dissertation on. Since MA/PhD programs seem to give 5-6 years of funding, and they want you out the door by that time hopefully, then coming in knowing exactly what you want to do will get you through this process much easier. Hence why the MA students seem to have a bit better success; however, I and a few others on this forum, were accepted to MA/PhD programs with only a BA so it does happen. However, I could argue, that we were accepted because our research interests fit well with the program and the advisor we wanted to work with. 

Apply to a range of programs, particularly those that are in your field. I know a few of my interview questions actually asked why I had applied to certain programs and not others and my response was solely that I was interested in my fit (I had top tier and not so top tier in my application pool). So, grad schools are looking at who you are looking at (for whatever reason). 

Also, since you are so interested in the MA thesis, I want to point out that many programs are eliminating the thesis altogether and opting for a Qualifying Paper. This is typically a seminar paper that you write  for a class and you are polishing it up and expanding it somewhat. Your QP doesn't even need to be in your field, although it is recommended especially if you are applying to PhD programs in the long term. However, theses seem to be on the out because they are a time sink, awkward manuals that seem to be hard to use or figure out how to publish. Also, your POI at your new doctoral program (if you decide to move on), may even hate your thesis for whatever reason and won't even allow you to use it (my friend is in this predicament, it is very frustrating).   

Let me know if you have any more questions. Don't be intimidated by the DC museum competitiveness; honestly, get used to it - you will have to face it every single step of your academic career! :) 

Awesome - thanks so much for your responses!  Between you and my wonderful undergraduate professor, I feel like I have a really great starting point to go from.  I will definitely be keeping all of that in mind over the next few months.

Definitely not intimidated by DC museums - just more hoping the right fit comes up at the right time:)  I'll reach out if I have anymore questions, and thanks again!  I really appreciate all the advice to help get the ball rolling and make the right choices to get myself into a program!