Anybody doing the IGA program at Harvard?

Sroek

yes! My focus is on international climate change policy (therefore gutted personally that Holdren has moved on, even if it is better for the world that he is in the white house...), so would have taken the environment & natural resources track if it had still exisited. My undergraduate was in international relations so also looking forward to nye and ruggie classes too. I'm from europe and plan to return here to work afterwards so an IGA concentration is natural - even if it does limit number of external options i can take. what about you?

Me too!

I was a little disappointed by the presentation on IGA at the admitted students' day, so I'm hoping that overall it won't make me regret choosing HKS despite more prolific coursework offered elsewhere.

Did you get the impression that the program might be a little hodge-podge with the people interested in environment, security, human rights, etc. all rolled into one concentration? Or does that just make it that much more synergistic? Also, do we know definitively who all is leaving for Washington/has already left?

Wow! I guess I don't feel so bad about not getting into Harvard. I really wanted to focus on security, but the program at Harvard just doesn't compete with what they are offering me at Gtown, and I'm not talking about funding, but curriculum and location to name a few. I guess HKS will be great for the other people with different concentrations. Sorry to hear it may not be all you wanted. It would suck to pay so much money to be in an infant program that really doesn't have any direction.

Wow, you've posted some infantile nonsense before, but this one takes the cake. You're officially annoying. Sorry for ruffling feathers, but I just can't stand idly by and read your condescending remarks anymore. It's nice to get into a great program--however that's judged--but quit bragging about it, will you?

Wow! I guess I don't feel so bad about not getting into Harvard. I really wanted to focus on security, but the program at Harvard just doesn't compete with what they are offering me at Gtown, and I'm not talking about funding, but curriculum and location to name a few. I guess HKS will be great for the other people with different concentrations. Sorry to hear it may not be all you wanted. It would suck to pay so much money to be in an infant program that really doesn't have any direction.

You should check out the other offerings that are going on at HKS beyond just IGA concentration. If you look at what some of the Centers are doing and the caliber of outside fellows. There is much more going on there than meets the eye. I was torn, but when I found out all this other stuff, I felt that HKS would be very strong. Did you know that the British Government has sought a group of MPP students to advise them on some international-related issues as part of the PAE. Gordon Brown actually came and sat in at a student presentation. And this is a relationship, not just a one-off. So anyone out there who is feeling like they made the wrong decision, please check this stuff out and you will get super excited.

Sorry if I offended anyone. I didn't mean to sound condescending, be annoying, or brag. After reviewing my post, I realized that it wasn't the best thing to say and I could see why people would be offended. Sorry guys. No hard feelings Console and sorry for upsetting you. Good luck to all of you guys and congratulations to everyone.

yes! My focus is on international climate change policy (therefore gutted personally that Holdren has moved on, even if it is better for the world that he is in the white house...), so would have taken the environment & natural resources track if it had still exisited. My undergraduate was in international relations so also looking forward to nye and ruggie classes too. I'm from europe and plan to return here to work afterwards so an IGA concentration is natural - even if it does limit number of external options i can take. what about you?

Scotty, I'm doing the IGA to focus on climate change and environmental policy as well. I was very sad about Holdren leaving but hopefully they will take that as evidence of the importance of these issues and find a suitable replacement to teach similar courses. I do believe that those who have left HKS to work in the administration will serve as "storm troopers" in washington for current students (i believe that is what was said in the open house, IGA discussion). How about assistant to science and technology advisor to the white house...?

So excited to start in the fall!

Wow great find therunaround, thanks for posting. While I'm not a big fan of basing an assessment on quotes from <5 students, having 60 out of 100 students sign a petition to change the requirements for the major sounds pretty serious.

Only 12 Belfer Fellows? I guess this answers my other question about what type of student gets the magical full ride to HKS.

Some of their complaints sound like they may apply to all MPP students. For example, having joke classes. I've heard that some students complain that MBA and MPP programs are way too easy compared to their rigorous undergrad experience, particularly if they came from elite schools or majored in a technical field. Also, isn't Kennedy overall known for its US-centric focus and primarily US student attendance already?

Wow great find therunaround, thanks for posting. While I'm not a big fan of basing an assessment on quotes from <5 students, having 60 out of 100 students sign a petition to change the requirements for the major sounds pretty serious.

Only 12 Belfer Fellows? I guess this answers my other question about what type of student gets the magical full ride to HKS.

Some of their complaints sound like they may apply to all MPP students. For example, having joke classes. I've heard that some students complain that MBA and MPP programs are way too easy compared to their rigorous undergrad experience, particularly if they came from elite schools or majored in a technical field. Also, isn't Kennedy overall known for its US-centric focus and primarily US student attendance already?

Yeah, the 12 Belfer Fellows thing annoyed me a little. It's disingenuous to promote it like they do and then provide nothing for so many of the IGA students. I think I probably will reassess whether I want to do the IGA program but I'm not concerned about the HKS education. Too easy...I don't know. I am really excited at Harvard but I think I might just take IGA env courses and do another PAE. Maybe they will change it for next year. Let's wait and see what happens when we get there!