MSW advice....

NatReed

I attend Florida State University and will graduate in December 2014 with a degree in Sociology and minor in Social Work and I also have ten years of experience as an office administrator/budget manager. I've been doing the part time student thing for a LONG time. The social work classes really speak to me and I hope to start a MSW program in fall 2015 but am hesitant.

Will I be able to find a job because I don't have a BSW or actual experience (I do currently volunteer at Hospice and as an ESOL tutor though)? Also, at my job I make a little under $40,000 without a degree; will I be able to find a job making close to that right out of the MSW program? I want to either go into Medical or School social work too. The other option i am considering is a Master's in Healthcare Admin. Any advice would be appreciated! Thank you!

The opportunities for you to earn a more significant salary will increase greatly if you hold an MSW degree. In the social work profession, the MSW is considered the "terminal" degree, meaning that there is no higher credential to be earned (a PhD in social work is typically geared toward an academic career) -- so if you complete the studies, you will be at a competitive advantage and more likely to qualify for leadership roles (with higher salaries). Not sure what you mean by "medical school" (you want to be a doctor?) -- but based on your post, if you are able to earn the MSW, I believe it will allow you to compete for many more jobs than currently. The caveat, of course, is that you need to weigh the financial cost of the MSW compared with any increase in salary. Good luck in your pursuits.

Thanks for the input. What I mean by medical or school social work is that I want to either work in a hospital/medical setting or be in the school system. Are you in the social work field?