Help! Waitlisted and going crazy - Marquette University, English Masters

lnz8904

I was waitlisted for admissions March 3, and I still haven't heard a thing. I contacted admissions to let them know I was still interested, sent and updated CV, they told me I might hear by April 15 which is the admission decision deadline for students. Still nothing. So I wait until May 1st, which I think is the deposit deadline. Still nothing. Am I crazy? I know I have to contact them again but I want to make sure I'm not being irrational first. 

What is the latest you've heard of someone getting accepted/rejected from a waitlist? All I want to know is what date to give up hope, but that might be an unwise request to email haha. 

Is it paranoid to think my letter got lost in snail mail? They sent me the waitlist notification via email. I would think they would try to contact me either way. Ack. Lot's of assumptions being made on my part. The website is super confusing too, and all I can dig up online is old statistics or information for undergraduates which really doesn't apply (peh heh).

Any other waitlist crazies out there? Or people that got off the waitlist with insight? 

Edited by lnz8904

You could conceivably get called off of the wait list any time between now and the start of the new school year. The unexpected can happen and sometimes people's plans change for all sorts of reasons (ie: hospitalization, new career opportunity,etc). However, considering that second round offers have already gone out and deposits were paid, it seems less likely that someone will drop out now due to lack of interest (although, it certainly isn't impossible).

I'm sorry, I'm sure this isn't what you'd like to hear. Perhaps while you are waiting, you could keep your mind distracted by finding ways to make yourself a stronger candidate for the next application season (such as volunteering) in case you do need to apply again next year. If you end up getting an offer of admission, volunteer work (or working on some sort of project) will give you further preparation for the program and you will have more professional contacts in the field. In the very least, it will help you keep your mind occupied and busy so this isn't constantly on your mind for the next few months. Good luck to you! I hope this will be your year.

You could conceivably get called off of the wait list any time between now and the start of the new school year. The unexpected can happen and sometimes people's plans change for all sorts of reasons (ie: hospitalization, new career opportunity,etc). However, considering that second round offers have already gone out and deposits were paid, it seems less likely that someone will drop out now due to lack of interest (although, it certainly isn't impossible).

I'm sorry, I'm sure this isn't what you'd like to hear. Perhaps while you are waiting, you could keep your mind distracted by finding ways to make yourself a stronger candidate for the next application season (such as volunteering) in case you do need to apply again next year. If you end up getting an offer of admission, volunteer work (or working on some sort of project) will give you further preparation for the program and you will have more professional contacts in the field. In the very least, it will help you keep your mind occupied and busy so this isn't constantly on your mind for the next few months. Good luck to you! I hope this will be your year.

Thank you! No, that does help. I'll keep a small glimmer of hope alive until the semester starts haha. I've come to peace with the answer, yes or no, it's just the uncertainty that's hard. Starting new projects is a good idea, I've been trying to concentrate on just work and study for now.