MA Program, Int'l student, poli sci at Columbia = no cash?

lapis-lazuli

I was rejected from all PhD programs, but barely managed to get into the MA only program.

So... now what?

The letter says no fellowships. I went to their Financial Aid Office website to find hundreds of outside fellowships. I've dug through many of them, only to find out that (1) the deadline has already passed, or (2) funding is only available to the PhD students.

Being an international student, I really have no idea how scholarships and fellowships work in US graduate schools. I now get the feeling that students in MA programs generally have a hard time finding a scholarship.

Does anyone know any good scholarships or websites with useful information for an international MA student? Is it possible for MA students to receive decent financing? I'm continuing my research on-line, but would appreciate any and every advice I could get. Thanks all!

I'm from Japan. A lot of things went wrong with my funding plan. The Japanese government postponed this year's annual scholarship grant due to political bickering over this year's budget, so no funding from the government (damn Prime Minister Aso...) Also, a private Japanese fellowship that I was planning to apply to suddenly changed its policy - now a student who has received a grant from the foundation before cannot apply again. This was a major blow since this foundation gave most money and what's more, the deadline for its application was the latest among the other private fellowships.

In short, I'm still looking for fellowships given by Japanese institutions, but the prospects are bleak. That's why I'm looking for some good scholarships given by the US institutions.

I would love to find any outside funding for intl studensts in US.

I have a US undergrad degree, 2 acceptances into Masters programs. 1 Biology and 1 Bioinformatics, both of which I will have to decline because they gave me very little or no funding.

In my experience, applying to PHD is our best bet.

I will put a word out if I find something productive, but so far every search just makes me more frustrated.

>cath2024

Taking a year off isn't really in my option... I guess I'll have to borrow money from my parents and relatives and work my ass off during my two years at Columbia. And if I don't get into any PhD programs (with full funding) two years later, I'll have to give up and find a job.

>cath2024

Taking a year off isn't really in my option... I guess I'll have to borrow money from my parents and relatives and work my ass off during my two years at Columbia. And if I don't get into any PhD programs (with full funding) two years later, I'll have to give up and find a job.

Welcome to my world.