Master's Degrees in Economics

TheCrow

I'm looking at thesis-based master's degrees in economics, particularly the MS at NC State (it's cheap and in state), as preparation for policy-related graduate study in a field other than economics. I'm using these programs as another option in case I'm not admitted to the doctoral programs (in another field) I'm applying to, but I'm not sure how competitive I am. Am I aiming too high?

Top 20 Undergrad, US Citizen

~3.2 Overall GPA

Major: Economics/Mathematics (one joint, not double major)

Econ Classes: Principles of Micro: B-, Principles of Macro: A, Public Choice: B-, Intermediate Micro: A-, Intermediate Macro: B, Econ Stats: A-, Econometrics: A-

Math Classes: Calculus I: A, Calculus II: C, Multivariable Calculus: C, Linear Algebra: B, Proof-writing Seminar: D+, Mathematical Economics (Taking Semester of Application)

Other: Intro to Computer Science I: A

Perhaps MS and NC state, don't think about applying to any good uni's, it would be a waist of $ and time!

The MS degree at NC State. I'm also looking at the master's degree at UNC-Charlotte.

Perhaps this is not what you intended, but while it's not Chicago, I wouldn't say NC State isn't a "good" university--particularly for someone who doesn't intend to be a professional economist (i.e., one who holds an econ PhD). I'm also surprised to hear that word choice from someone in the higher education/student affairs field... East Carolina University offers a non-thesis, one-year, terminal master's degree in applied and resource economics that's far less competitive than NC State's econ masters. One of their graduates went to UVA for a PhD in Education afterwards--according to the DGS, knowing more statistics than the faculty in that department, they were asked to teach the graduate statistics sequence their first year at UVA.

What is the "policy-related field" that you eventually want to get a graduate degree in? I'm curious why you're opting for an MA in Economics rather than in your chosen field of study itself. 

It's a bit complicated. I'm interested in becoming a social work professor (focusing in policy, not clinical work). Per the professional accreditation requirements, I need both the MSW and the PhD. There are a few MSW/PhD programs that are funded, but they are almost all at top schools (Michigan, WashU, et al.) or require a master's degree in a related field. Otherwise, I would need to get the MSW first and then apply to PhD programs. But regional MSW programs are bad fits: while affordable, they are focused almost exclusively on clinical methods and are intended for training those who are already working in social services full-time in that areas (as a result, it's likely that I'd be rejected at San Jose State University but have no problem getting into UChicago or Columbia for an MSW, who accept some huge percentage of those who apply).

So, I would need to attend an MSW program that does work in policy, but, as a professional degree, there's practically no funding for the degree. The MSW itself is not going to prepare me with the research skills for the kinds of jobs I would want outside of the academy if the PhD didn't work out. If I went for the MSW at someone that wasn't a terrible fit, it would cost me lots of money and those loans would continue to accrue interest while I'm in a PhD program. It's far cheaper and a better preparation for the PhD to earn a master's degree in a related field, nonprofessional field (the MSW is mostly supervised field placement)--and it would allow me to apply to far more MSW/PhD programs. I don't have the prerequisites for a master's degree in statistics, an MA in sociology is awfully unemployable (and I've already taken the PhD methods sequence in sociology here anyway), much less history, political science, etc.

As you can begin to tell, one reason there's a shortage of social work faculty is the organization of the field. I'm only looking at one or two master's degrees in economics. I'm applying for the MSW/PhD programs I can, as well as two MSW-only programs that might be a good fit and affordable.

I don't need help identifying programs; I'm looking for feedback on whether I'm competitive for the programs I'm looking at. I'm trying to go into social work.... it might follow that I'm never expecting to make 100k/year. I need a master's degree in order to apply to many social work MSW/PhD programs. I'm applying to the MSW/PhD programs I can right now, as well as two affordable, high-status MSW/only programs. I want to know if it's a viable option to get into a school like NC State.

I see. Thanks for taking the time to explain. I wish I could offer more help, but I don't know anything about the programs you're applying to. That said, I can't imagine it being too competitive as long as you do well on your GREs. Good luck!