Bad to wait?

canaderican

So I just got my BA this year, and have a couple of classes to retake. So I'm taking the summer off before taking anymore classes, but I want to know how bad it would be to apply for Fall 2011 instead of Fall 2010? I need $$ and to regain my sanity after taking so long to finish my degree.

Is this looked down upon, if my application shows that my BA was in 2009 but I'm not applying until 2011?

Is this looked down upon, if my application shows that my BA was in 2009 but I'm not applying until 2011?

No. A lot of people take time off between undergrad and grad school. It's entirely understandable that you might need time to save some money, clear your head, do things you won't be able to once you start grad school (like travel) or whatever. You won't be any less competitive if you wait an extra year, and if you manage to get a job in your area of interest, you might even be more competitive.

granted, i'm in a "professional" field, not an academic one (social work) but in my field it's pretty highly encouraged to take time off and get some experience in the field before applying to school. i graduated in 2006 and will start grad school in the fall (so, 09). i think that time off was to my advantage because my application showed 3+ years of work in the field and demonstrated that i really know what the work is about and that i really still want to do it.

I took six years off and did nothing related to my field. And I was still accepted into two PhD programs and wait listed at two others. So time off is not a bad thing.