[ECE][PhD] PennState vs. UFL

Hey Guys,

I am in desperate need for help! You can tell from the number of questions i have:) Please advise.

I have been accepted for PhD in Penn State (no funding) and Florida (~40% tuition waiver) and i am confused which one to choose as Penn State is ranked higher for ECE graduate programs. I'll be really grateful for any answer/advice concerning the below quesions:

- How easy is it to get an RA in the second semester for both universities?

- Is there any chance i can remain without funding (RA) for three semesters or more?

- Which is more prestigious: Penn State or Florida? (Rankings do overrate some schools and can be misleading)

- Is it worth going to Penn State despite the zero-funding proposal, betting on the second semester?

- Can i find off-campus residence in UFL for ~400 a month? I guess there's a long waiting list for on-campus residency.

- Should i apply for insurance before arriving to the US? What are the options.

- Is it possible to shift my SEVIS record from a university to another AFTER i receive my VISA?

Or should i simply wait for decisions from TU Delft/KTH/Toronto/OhioState/USC?

Will be really thankfull for any help...

FreeStyle

The first two questions need to be directed at Penn State and Florida, not us, and the answer affects your fourth concern. Only the schools will know what their budget looks like, and the possibility of increased funding.

Personally, unless there is a very good chance of funding in other semesters at Penn State, I would chose the 40% funding option. Almost half is better than none, and I believe tuition at UFL is cheaper than tuition at Penn State anyway. Even if your living expenses are slightly higher (and I'm sure they will be), your overall debt will be less.

As far as insurance, do you mean health insurance? You should discuss it with the university, as they often have health insurance plans for international students.

From a former Penn Stater:

- How easy is it to get an RA in the second semester for both universities?

At Penn State I would say second semester is still pretty rough, but after that it should get much easier - they try to fund the later years as much as possible.

- Is there any chance i can remain without funding (RA) for three semesters or more?

Sure. It happens. Remember that TA's are dependent on your relationship to a teaching professor and your ability to execute, RA's the same plus they depend on the professor obtaining funding. Talk to your prospective advisors' grad students and ask them about the funding situation - they will know whether your guy is getting the cash or is perennially strapped.

- Which is more prestigious: Penn State or Florida? (Rankings do overrate some schools and can be misleading)

Penn State for engineering. There is a sizable alumni base, and the rep is solid.

- Is it worth going to Penn State despite the zero-funding proposal, betting on the second semester?

Tough call - if you are instate, I would say heck yeah, out of state I would say probably, international I would say probably not. And that is betting on second YEAR funding.

- Should i apply for insurance before arriving to the US? What are the options.

Your school should have a process for this, but they all generally require you to have insurance when you arrive - if the school cannot provide, arrange it before getting to the school. If you are coming straight from overseas to campus, set it up before you leave!

Good luck!

Don't decide where you're going based on RA prospects. From what I saw this can be pretty subjective and nobody can really help you predict where you'll score. I guess Penn State's branding is better, but not by much. Gator engineering is well respected as well. As for insurance for UF you can do it after you get there. No point doing it too early. UF's achievement award is a pretty sweet deal for Master's. But for the PhD program I don't know if I would risk going there without funding. Last I heard funding situation is pretty damn awful in general, but I could be wrong.