GRE sentence equivalence: less common usages of common words

ashlee_liu31

Hello,

I am currently studying hard for the GRE, especially the verbal part, and I find myself stuck on one particular aspect. I'm good with the textual completion and reading comprehension parts, but I frequently make mistakes in sentence equivalence. The reason seems to be that, although I have learned enough advanced vocabs, I am unfamiliar with less common meanings of common words. For example, "involved" actually can be a synonym of "complicated" and I didn't know that. All I could see was that it meant to be involved in something. Is anyone experiencing the same problem?? Does anyone know how to quickly get a hold of these less common usages of common words? I have looked at KAPLAN and Manhanttan Prep but they don't seem to have a section dedicated to this purpose.

thanks! 

Hello,

I am currently studying hard for the GRE, especially the verbal part, and I find myself stuck on one particular aspect. I'm good with the textual completion and reading comprehension parts, but I frequently make mistakes in sentence equivalence. The reason seems to be that, although I have learned enough advanced vocabs, I am unfamiliar with less common meanings of common words. For example, "involved" actually can be a synonym of "complicated" and I didn't know that. All I could see was that it meant to be involved in something. Is anyone experiencing the same problem?? Does anyone know how to quickly get a hold of these less common usages of common words? I have looked at KAPLAN and Manhanttan Prep but they don't seem to have a section dedicated to this purpose.

thanks! 

Check out Magoosh.  They have a blog and vocab Wednesdays on You tube.  Appearantly, the GRE test secondary definitions.