MIT 2009

fuzzylogician

Hi there!

Depending on the date on my I-20 form, I'll be in Boston 30 days before that--so probably some time towards mid-August. Since practically all of the incoming cohort is international I'll venture and ask - have you received your form yet? I really wish they'll send me mine already so I can get the formalities going.

I've also started looking for an apartment and if it goes well, I think that getting to town around two weeks before the semester begins should be enough time to open a bank account, buy furniture, get a cell phone/internet and run whatever other errands need to be run. I've been on a visit in March so I pretty much know what's where. Everyone I talked to during the visit advised against taking the dorms so I decided to go with the experts and hope that I can find something in 2-3 weeks, in case I can't secure anything from afar. Right now I am just keeping my fingers crossed that it works out!

How about you, when are you planning to arrive?

I'm also waiting on the I-20 form. I don't really know a lot about the visa restrictions but I was hoping to get there in early/mid August. I have some friends in Boston who are going to help me out. If I have to wait until mid August I might stop over in London for a couple of weeks.

I'm glad to hear about the dorm accommodation. Some people have told me that grad accommodation is a really good environment, but I'm sure off campus is fine because Boston looks like such a student friendly city. Plus, I want bring my cat. I'm going to try and find something on the red train line. I went to a conference at Tufts last year and I liked the area around Davis/Somerville. Sounds like we'll all be hitting the local IKEA at the same time!

Sounds like we'll all be hitting the local IKEA at the same time!

Haha! yes, probably. I've heard you can sometimes find stuff laying in the streets or get it at a discount around moving time from students who've finished studying and are moving away. I'm hoping for the best but preparing for the worst - an "Ikea-style" decor.

Hi, I'm going to MIT Aero-Astro, also waiting for I-20. Actually I got it but my name had misspellings... already notified them.

I hope it wont take long for the other one to come.

Important Information

This website uses cookies to ensure you get the best experience on our website. See our Privacy Policy and Terms of Use