PhD with the intent to be a pastor?

LotzaCoffee

Hi all,

Still considering re-applying to PhD programs in OT/Bibl Studies after an unsuccessful application season for '14.  Which has, consequently, continued to stoke a question within me that I'd like some of your feedback on.

I've known a few (very intelligent) individuals to move into a pastoral/ministry role after obtaining their PhD degree in OT, NT, or Theology.  I of course realize that there are other terminal degrees besides an academic PhD that would be more traditionally expected for those individuals intending to enter ministry.  However, at least in some circles there seems to be an appreciation for a pastor with an advanced academic degree.  This, in addition to the absurd job market for religion PhDs (and of course humanities in general), makes me wonder just how many folks out there have contemplated this approach as opposed to a more traditional academic route?

Edited by LotzaCoffee

I think this to some degree depends on your denomination. Being an Episcopalian, I've met a lot of priests that have a (real) PhD in various fields within Religious Studies or Theology that don't teach, they're full time priests. Seeing it quite a bit among Presbyterians as well.

I don't see a problem with it, the Church needs the Academy, so who better to walk that fine line than a highly educated priest?

As others have said, in today's market you need a backup plan. If you get a PhD or end up going ABD, what else are you willing/capable of doing?

Edited by xypathos

Having the ordination credential can be very helpful, both while you are a PhD student and after. Of course, one shouldn't pursue ordination just to be able to broaden your job prospects. You should do it because it's right for you, because you are "called" to it, to use religious language. Otherwise, you'll be unhappy as will any congregation you find yourself in. And in many denominations the process for getting there is laborious, a lot like pursuing the PhD, involving years of "formation." Having done both, I wouldn't recommend pursuing them at the same time, though it has been done. The smarter and more traditional course, if you felt called to ordination would be to pursue that first. Then go into the PhD program. That way you would have the benefit of A) potentially being able to do some clergy work on the side while pursuing your grad program, and when you finish the PhD you would have two sectors within which to search immediately, with some clergy experience under your belt. And, many seminaries might be more likely to consider you for faculty positions if you are ordained. Of course, this might require an MDiv or other program to augment any master's degree you already have. In my area of the Episcopal Church I can quickly think of at least 10 priests with PhDs who are engaged primarily in pastoral ministries, perhaps with a little adjunct teaching on the side, so it's definitely being done.  

Edited by trinitymatthew

xypathos and trinitymatthew, you've given me some valuable insights - going off of your comments, perhaps being in the pastorate/priesthood with a PhD is not such "out of the box" thinking as I had first believed!

trinitymatthew, you raise a good caution about the ordination process.  I wouldn't want to give the impression that I would enter the pastorate simply as a "back up" plan to an academic career - I agree that this would not be a move of integrity.  My ambition all along has been to teach the wonderful things that I have been learning, and as I finish my MA I have come to recognize that research, though enjoyable and fulfilling in its own way, cannot compare to the joy of teaching.  Your advice about spacing out the ordination process and a PhD programme is well-timed for me, and something additional to consider.

ResidentAlien, I enjoyed your response B)  While I truly do believe that a ministry job should be a calling, as trinitymatthew expressed above, I also do concede that it is an avenue of employment with a lengthy (and yes, occasionally, arbitrary) checklist for its applicants sometimes on par with the academic world. 

Edited by LotzaCoffee