UC Berkeley Online/ On-Campus MPH

ladydiver

Hello All!  

Anyone out there apply for the Fall 2014 Berkeley online/on campus program?  I saw where a person posted there acceptance and of course, this is making me highly anxious waiting to hear if I will be accepted.  

Good Luck to all out there who are in the same boat waiting it out.   B)

That was me - I found out by accident when I clicked on the wrong bookmarked page in my browser and re-opened my application page.  My status had been changed from "Submitted" to "Admitted".  I called the school to see if that was official, and after some back and forth they sent me an official email and admittance letter.  I guess they updated the website, but hadn't gotten around to the emails yet.

They did say that everyone will be informed by June 15, and my letter requests that i accept or decline the offer by July 1.

Good luck!

JB

Wow, what good fortune to log in and find out you were admitted! Congratulations!  I kept logging in today to check after seeing someone (you) had an acceptance.  Hopefully I'll hear one way or the other soon.  Perhaps we'll be classmates. 

Congrats again!

Stats?  that should be interesting.  I'm on the older side, and had a rough start to college, eventually leaving my first school with a remarkably bad GPA after 2 years.  I did bounce back and graduated from a state school with highest honors.  Overall my GPA was about a 3.2 (over 160+ credit hours - I took my time and changed majors as well as colleges several times).  I also have an MBA from a top 10 school, and had a 3.6 in that.  But I haven't been inside a classroom in over 20 years.  

My GRE's are a little more current :) :  167 verbal, 161 quant, 5.0 on the written. 

Overall if anything made me a strong candidate, it's my experience.  I've lived all over, including in Quito, Warsaw and Tel Aviv, and have been involved in projects in dozens more countries.  My kids were born overseas, and I have seen firsthand the medical facilities available to different classes of people in some of these countries. I think I was able to put together a pretty strong application out of that.  Plus I had 3 really good LORs - 2 Ivy League professors (one who taught me during my MBA, and another who was my boss for several years but then returned to academia) and my current boss.  And some experience supporting medical researchers.

I honestly think that for a professional degree like an MPH, GRE's and undergrad GPAs are probably a gatekeeper - having low scores on either might keep you out.  But what gets you in is probably your experience, your referrals and how well you are able to communicate how all that relates to what the program has to offer.

Good luck!

JB

JB thanks very much for your info. It's really good to hear it's not just a numbers game especially at a great program like Berkeley. I too am on the older side, a parent, and had a much different path to this career than a traditional student.

You sound like you have great skills to offer to the field. Congratulations, and I hope to meet you if we become classmates.

What about you, Wildcat, what are your stats if you don't mind sharing.  

I am also an older student, have two bachelor's; one in Nursing.  

GPA 3.9

GRE 148 (ouch, can't believe I blew it on the quant-don't know what happened)  :angry:

162 V

working in health industry currently but before getting my RN, I worked for large space research industry and have several publications.  I am hoping this will help augment my abysmall GRE score.  I took the test too late to take again.

I have a public health nursing license in addition to my RN license.  

• 2 weeks later...

Thank you!  

I am so excited; really wasn't sure if I would get in.  I have some really strong areas of my application, and some weaknesses (don't we all!).  I'm just grateful UCB could see past my weak areas and admit me.  

Good luck to all those who are still waiting.  I know how excruciating it can be. 

Edited by ladydiver

• 1 month later...

Hi, I'm new the forums! So please guide me to the correct thread if my question isn't applicable here.

I'm working in public health now, doing academic research. I love my job and it's really rewarding. However, I currently only have a bachelor's, and a MPH is something I'm really looking into. With my current goals and timeline, 2-years is a long time, not counting the application process.

Do you guys know if UCB would allow you to sign up for a greater courseload and graduate from the MPH program early?

Edited by Pasteur

Are you looking to apply to the online program or the regular campus program?  From what I read on UCB's online/on-campus site, you may take additional classes with approval (can't recall from whom the approval must come).  The online/on-campus program is 2 1/2 years.  It requires an additional 8 courses more than on-campus program.

Hope this helps.

• 3 weeks later...

Hey guys! I apologize on reviving a somewhat older post (is July old?)..Anyway I have been off the site for a bit but am so happy to have found others applying/enrolled in UCB's online program!! When I was posting earlier in the Spring, the vast majority of members were applying to on-campus programs (figures, I know)...

Anyway, I'll be starting Fall 2014 too! Feel free to add me :)

PS: Hi from Canada

PPS: (for those interested) my admit letter came around March 26 (I think it was a combination of strong references and work experience during my undergraduate work terms) 

Edited by plumbunnie