International Education Fall 2015

araizokpala

Hello!

I've just begun the process of researching which schools have M.A. programs in International Education (International and Multicultural Education/ International Education Policy/ International Education Development, etc) programs so I can decide where to apply. 

I am looking for any and all feedback on program quality, length, cohort size, etc.  Please let me know if there are any International Ed. programs I am missing that I should add to the list!

So far, here is my list:

1. Harvard: IEP
  2. Stanford: ICE
  3. Colombia Teacher's College: IED, CIE
  4. U. Penn: IED
  5. U. San Fransisco: IME
  6. NYU Steinhardt:  IE
  7. American: ITE
  8. George Washington: IE
  9. UCLA:  Social Sciences and Comparative Education (focus in Comparative/International Studies in Education)

Thanks for your feedback!

What's your regional interest? Often this will define what programs you apply to and how much you'll get out of your Masters. For example, if your background is in East Asia, and you want to continue working internationally there, I'd find a program with one or more faculty who work in that area - this fit between you and the faculty/program certainly helps during admissions as well.

And do you have a preference for where the University is? From your list it looks like you'd like to stay in a city on the East or West coast.

But if you'd like to cast your net wider in a geographical sense, here are some of the programs I applied to or looked into (most have a focus in Africa in addition to other regions, because that's my area of research):

• Pittsburgh University, Social and Comparative Analysis - historically strong program if you're interested in Comparative International work
  • Michigan State, Ed Policy - although the program is mostly domestic, there are faculty and students doing international work. Well funded department.
  • Minnesota - they have a Comparative/International track in their OLPD department. Faculty in Sub-Saharan Africa and East Asia, and the program focuses on international education projects, so there's a strong practical component.
  • Wisconsin Madison - Concentration in Comparative International Education; they have a strong critical Ed Policy department with top names.
  • Loyola Chicago - They have MA degrees in International Higher Ed and Cultural/Educational Policy Studies, don't know much more.
  • Indiana Bloomington - MSEd in International/Comparative Education
  • UMass Amherst - MEd in International Education

Thanks for the feedback! My regional interests are Latin America and Africa. My research interests include social justice education, human rights education, post-conflict education,  service learning, international exchange. and immersion. I am also interested in ESL, language acquisition, and multicultural education. 

I hope to be part of a program with a strong practical component, as I am currently a teacher and hope to continue to teach (in some capacity) after grad school. Eventually, I hope to work at the university level in international service/immersion learning.

MAC2809- Thanks for the heads up!

bakalamba- Thank for you the suggestions- very helpful. I will look into all of those programs. What are your research interests and what kind work have you done in Africa? Which school did you end up attending?

With those regions and interests, you'll find good fits in a lot of programs. I'd also look into the University of Toronto, as I've heard there's a strong African focus with Dr. Karen Mundy there.

My interests are in community schools and primary education in Zambia and bordering countries, where I worked and taught with the Peace Corps a few years ago. I'm going to the University of Minnesota in a few months, where there is a strong focus in that area and active research projects. I took a few years away from working internationally and studying, so I'm looking forward to getting back in the fray.