Applied and Computational Mathematics

Hi,

I got admit to RIT's Applied and Computational Mathematics program (MS).

The course Structure is as follows :
(with options either in : Discrete Math/ Dynamical systems/ scientific Computing)

First Year

• MATH-611 Numerical Analysis  3
  • MATH-651  Combinatorics and Graph Theory I    3
  • MATH-671  Number Theory 3
  • MATH-601   Methods of Applied Mathematics 3
  • MATH-605  Stochastic Processes 3
  • MATH-652 Combinatorics and Graph Theory II 3

Second Year

• MATH-771 Mathematics of Cryptography  3
  • Electives  6
  • MATH-790 Thesis 9

Total Semester Credit Hours : 36

I have bachelor's degree in Computer Science and (my graduation goal) I wish to seek career in Machine learning or Artificial Intelligence in general, Operational research being my second choice. I do have interest in mathematics and designing/working on models(simulation).   
So my questions are,

• From the job/career perspective, is this program marketable? (not limited to USA)
  • If not, are the course credits transferable to Computer Science (or related) Master's program?
  • and If not that either, which further academic programs I can channel through this program, to achieve my goal? (like M.S. or Ph.Ds .. though I am bit concern/nervous about spending 3-5 yrs on Ph.D )

Regarding the jobs in the field of applied and/or computational math, I read on some the forums and reports.
According to those, degrees from the top 15-20 universities (IVY leagues) are worthwhile and the employers don't bother with the resume of students from lesser schools[*].

Being an international student, I have very blurred understanding about the quality of this program and the future consequences. Considering, the high tuition fees and limited fee waiver, I have to weigh my options.

I would greatly appreciate your help (any RIT alumni there? :) ). Please respond or guide me to right information as I have to make my decision within few weeks.
I'll be happy to elaborate, if any information is insufficient.

Thanks for spending your time to read my somewhat longer post. I hope to get some quality response.

Regards,
C.g.
Edited by cgitm