Politics PhDs in Europe

Hi All,

I have some questions concerning PhD program applications at schools like Oxford and Cambridge.  Namely, how stringent is the requirement that they have on their websites that applicants must have at least a 3.85 undergrad GPA when coming from an American school?  I graduated with special honors/undergrad thesis, but my undergrad GPA was a 3.4.  By the time of application, I will also have a Masters degree with a GPA of 3.9 from a top US school.  Should I even bother applying because of the undergrad stipulation they note on the requirements?

Also, my Masters program requires a capstone practicum and not a Masters Thesis.  I do have a couple publications, though.  Would it make more sense to apply, for example at Oxford, for their Msc Research Degree and look to transition into the DPhil, or just apply straight to the DPhil?  Note, some programs do not have that option (Cambridge doesn't, LSC does etc).

Last, aside from schools in England, I'm quite keen on the Graduate Institute at Geneva.  Is there anything that European schools prefer to see in applications that differs from American programs?  

Would appreciate any and all advice.  I'm applying in this upcoming cycle, to both some American and European programs - but I'm finding it more difficult to get good info on European apps and such.

Thanks!

Hi All,

I have some questions concerning PhD program applications at schools like Oxford and Cambridge.  Namely, how stringent is the requirement that they have on their websites that applicants must have at least a 3.85 undergrad GPA when coming from an American school?  I graduated with special honors/undergrad thesis, but my undergrad GPA was a 3.4.  By the time of application, I will also have a Masters degree with a GPA of 3.9 from a top US school.  Should I even bother applying because of the undergrad stipulation they note on the requirements?

Also, my Masters program requires a capstone practicum and not a Masters Thesis.  I do have a couple publications, though.  Would it make more sense to apply, for example at Oxford, for their Msc Research Degree and look to transition into the DPhil, or just apply straight to the DPhil?  Note, some programs do not have that option (Cambridge doesn't, LSC does etc).

Last, aside from schools in England, I'm quite keen on the Graduate Institute at Geneva.  Is there anything that European schools prefer to see in applications that differs from American programs?  

Would appreciate any and all advice.  I'm applying in this upcoming cycle, to both some American and European programs - but I'm finding it more difficult to get good info on European apps and such.

Thanks!

I'm sure that the Masters GPA will compensate to a certain extent. What are you publications? If they're in peer reviewed academic journals then that would be a massive positive.

You say you didn't do a thesis for your Masters, but was there any substantive research training? If not you will need to apply for the Masters of Research for all degrees in the UK as the PhD has no coursework. Although some scholarships will cover both Masters of Research and PhD (contingent on grades).

I'm sure that the Masters GPA will compensate to a certain extent. What are you publications? If they're in peer reviewed academic journals then that would be a massive positive.

You say you didn't do a thesis for your Masters, but was there any substantive research training? If not you will need to apply for the Masters of Research for all degrees in the UK as the PhD has no coursework. Although some scholarships will cover both Masters of Research and PhD (contingent on grades).

Thanks for the response.  Yep, peer reviewed - although they are both coauthored with a professor.  I know the Masters degree GPA will help me in the states, but the reason I'm worried about England is because they have stipulations like this one, from Cambridge Politics: 

• 1st class undergraduate degree from a UK university or equivalent/GPA of at least 3.85 or equivalent from a non-UK University
  • A Masters Degree in a relevant subject, with a mark equivalent to a distinction/ GPA of at least 3.85 or equivalent from a non-UK University
  • Two academic references

They make it seem that it is a requirement that disqualifies.  

I have held three research assistantships for professors, and one job that was qualitative surveying.  But my formal graduate course work in research is just quantitative methods, qualitative methods, and GIS training.  I still have two semesters though, any recommendations on coursework to try and get in my Masters?

I think because of the lack of coursework in the PhDs I would actually prefer to do Masters of Research (if I can get it covered haha).

Any advice on what UK or European schools find attractive in applications?

Thanks again

mh3, thankfully I can help you on this one. I went to an American university for undergrad and finished with a 3.6 (below the stated cutoff for Oxford/Cambridge, like you said). That said, I got accepted at Cambridge last cycle, so it appears that they have some leeway on GPA issues.

mh3, thankfully I can help you on this one. I went to an American university for undergrad and finished with a 3.6 (below the stated cutoff for Oxford/Cambridge, like you said). That said, I got accepted at Cambridge last cycle, so it appears that they have some leeway on GPA issues.

Thanks NYC, that's good to hear.  Any tips for what you think made up for the difference?  

Maybe see you at Cambridge in a year haha