Letter to find out why you were rejected?

grad

I wasn't admitted into UCLA's MLIS program for fall 2009, and I'm wondering why. My GPA wasn't stellar, but above the 3.0 baseline (I think 3.3 or 3.4), GRE scores really not too hot (1,000 total, but 5 for writing;but would I really be rejected just for those though?), I'm pretty sure my recommendations were good, and my personal statement was good as well. I also feel I specified why I felt UCLA was a good match for me. And when I went to an info meeting, we were told it really wasn't that competitive, 70% acceptance rate, and the 3.0 GPA wasn't a "solid" barrier if you get my drift; we were told they're pretty flexible. Ouch, do I feel bad now, haha! The letter also didn't say anything like, "Please re-apply for next year," which it seems some people do get (I don't know about from UCLA though), so that kinda bummed me out too. I don't know if this matters at all or not, or how much, but I am from the general LA area, whereas with Rutgers and Simmons (accepted there) I was "diverse" only in that I was from out-of-state. I just want to know what I can do to better my chances if I decide to reapply. Who should I contact, just the department contact? What should I or shouldn't I say? How should I ask? Any advice would be appreciated!

I've asked before on several occasions, both to the head of the graduate committee and to the department, and I've always gotten a vague sort of non-answer. Usually it's just a matter of the rest of the field being better than you.

While there is some variance as to how good each crop of applicants is from year to year, unless there is something glaringly wrong with your application, don't count on getting a straight answer.

If you are considering reapplying, I would go ahead and contact them (probably contact the DGS). I would phrase it as "How can I improve my application to better my chances of admission?). What's the worst that can happen? No straight answer? at best though, you could get some useful feedback and tell them that you're serious about wanting to go there. In the "waiting it out" forum, there are several stories of people who wrote to ask why they were rejected, and got very informative responses.

Even if you don't get a response, though, would you consider retaking the GREs? (maybe work through a good prep book/take a class). No sense letting something stupid ruin your chances.

How about taking grad level classes as a non-degree student? This may show them that you can handle graduate level coursework.

Could you get someone from their admissions staff,or a professor there, to look over your statement of purpose and suggest ways to improve?

Best of luck to you, whatever you decide to do!

I think there's no harm in asking, at the worst you'll only get no response or a vague response. However, you might get a decent answer as well. I requested one of my schools I got rejected at, feedback on my application, since I want to re-apply there in the future, and they've replied saying that they'll give me detailed feedback in June, once they've sorted out the queries of the newly admitted students. It's definitely worth a shot.

• 2 weeks later...

Hi ,

Last year I was admitted in MS CS in UC Irvine but had to request for deferment due to financial difficulties. Although the Uni site mentioned that I could seek deferment I was told once I request fro it ,that this is erroneous and I should reapply next year again afresh.

Thereafter I worked for one year in the IT industry and applied again ( GRE 1460 and GPA >4 etc) . However I have got a reject this time from them.

Can any one advise me why this happens although I have added 1 years exp in my resume now? And Or I should just ignore and consider other options. (Although I was very keen on UCI)

thanks.

• 2 weeks later...

Sorry about the rejection. It could be something as simple as decreasing cohort size.

For anyone considering writing a letter to ask about reasons for rejection, here's the thing from a DGS standpoint via the Chronicle of Higher Education forums:

http://chronicle.com/forums/index.php/t ... 689.0.html

If you ignore the flame war, it's interesting.

Important Information

This website uses cookies to ensure you get the best experience on our website. See our Privacy Policy and Terms of Use