Folklore?

MythoNerd

So I've tried searching for this topic, but I've yet to find a topic dedicated specifically to the field of folklore/mythology. 

I'm in my last year of college and will be applying to several schools come this semester, but I'm freaking out. I'm trying to do research, and I've taken the GRE (153V, 150Q 4.5AW), but I don't really know how to stop freaking out for a few minutes to organize my thoughts. Has anyone else gone down this path, or is thinking about going the Folklore route? I could really use some help here.

(Background notes: I have severe testing anxiety, which is why I'm hesitant about taking the GRE again, and school-related anxiety. This is probably a good chunk of why I can't relax and figure this out. So if someone could point me in the right direction, I would be really appreciative.)

U of Oregon is my top school at the moment. I love what I have read of the faculty and the courses they offer, but U of Missouri is a top second. 

Thanks for any and all help you can give!

First of all, GRE isn't an end-all, be-all. Yes you could improve, but your writing sample & LORs will be far more important. 

What I would be considering if I were you, however, is what you want to do with your degree/where you want to end up working. Folklore isn't exactly a thriving discipline, and if you limit yourself to Folklore departments you risk dramatically reducing your employment prospects. Try looking at Anthropology departments, or even History and Literature departments. Chances are you'll be able to find a suitable supervisor & committee while maintaining employability. There's also the upside of interdisciplinarity. 

I'd also ask if you're looking at a specific region. Depending on that, Language and Area Studies departments could also be an option, though they may also not be as ideal in terms of employment. 

You could also throw a post in the Interdisciplinary Studies and/or Anthropology forums here. You might have a better/more productive reception there. The general Humanities forum tends to be pretty dead. 

Best of luck.

• 4 weeks later...

Ohio State has an interdisciplinary folklore program where you apply through different departments, depending on your area of interest. (For instance, English or Language Studies). Indiana University offers dual MS/MA programs in folklore/journalism and folklore/library science.

Edited by TonyB