How to decline an offer

s58

Hey,

I am required to decline an offer by mailing the respective department, and not through an impersonal standardized system on the website which just requires me to click a button to accept or to decline. I was wondering how carefully should my reply be worded in such a case? And could anyone throw any light on the etiquette involved in such a situation as well? I know this is the last time I'll be mailing them, but they've been so nice to me, and I feel so bad declining this offer, therefore, I want to make sure this mail is as polite and nice as possible.

Thanks!

Even if you don't think you'll be in any further contact with the school, it's wise to write a polite letter. You want the profs there to remember you favorably, they will be your future colleagues. I wrote some version of this letter to schools whose offer I declined:

Dear Dr. X,

Thank you again for your offer of admission to X. I sincerely appreciate your interest in my candidacy, but I regret to inform you that I will not be accepting your offer of admission. Many factors entered into my decision, and the fact that I have a number of spectacular choices made the process all the more difficult.

I enjoyed meeting you and learning more about the linguistics program at X. The program seems very strong, and there is certainly a lot of innovative research going on in your department. I had a great time during the open house, and I appreciated your efforts throughout the recruitment process. It was nice to have the opportunity to discuss my work with you, and your grad students were incredibly informative and helpful.

I look forward to seeing you at conferences in the future, and I hope that we can continue to communicate with each other in connection with our research.

Sincerely,

me

ETA: Please do NOT copy this letter and use it as your own!

Use it as an example and write your own letter.

Yes yes obviously I will not copy! Plus I'm an international student who did not visit the school even once, so most of it is not even applicable to me :) But thanks a lot! Yes, I get the general idea.

Important Information

This website uses cookies to ensure you get the best experience on our website. See our Privacy Policy and Terms of Use