From BSc in CompSci to Masters in Math

Hi,

I am about to complete my Bachelors in Computer Science. However, now I wish to pursue a graduate career in Pure Math, specifically in logic and set theory. A professor at my college told me that the number of courses I had done in Math was not enough for applying to graduate math program, although some others disagree.

A typical major in my college consists of 20 courses, while I have done 17 courses in math.

Can anyone guide me as to how I should proceed to be able to apply for grad math programs? Should I get research internships, or should I stay back and do a second major in math? I have seen many people switch from Comp Sci to Humanities, but havent heard of a CS major switch to Maths.

Any advice whould be appreciated!

Thanks!

Ali

I think it's not so much whether you took 17 or 20 math courses, it's which math courses you took. Most math grad programs will presume knowledge equivalent to:

- lower division courses: calculus, ODE/PDE, computational linear algebra, vector analysis (calculation-based courses)

- upper division courses: real analysis, complex analysis, modern algebra, linear algebra, and perhaps probability theory (proof-based courses)

If you're missing one or two of the upper division courses, some programs may allow remedial study while you pursue your MS. Your application will be stronger with a demonstrated record of excellence in upper division (theoretical) math courses, but IMO they're not strictly necessary. Your mileage may vary. :)

• 2 months later...
I think it's not so much whether you took 17 or 20 math courses, it's which math courses you took. Most math grad programs will presume knowledge equivalent to:

- lower division courses: calculus, ODE/PDE, computational linear algebra, vector analysis (calculation-based courses)

- upper division courses: real analysis, complex analysis, modern algebra, linear algebra, and perhaps probability theory (proof-based courses)

If you're missing one or two of the upper division courses, some programs may allow remedial study while you pursue your MS. Your application will be stronger with a demonstrated record of excellence in upper division (theoretical) math courses, but IMO they're not strictly necessary. Your mileage may vary. :)

This.

also, i was a math major and i only took 13 math courses. (but i also took 8 science courses in physics and astro and i don't recall if that counted for anything.)